Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I have a question about the rear spring preload adjuster. Actually, to be more specific, my question is about the damage that is caused by turning the bolt clockwise beyond the No. 5 setting and having the preload clunk back down into the No. 1 position.

I have adjusted my spring preload twice. On both occasions I mistakenly thought that the adjuster had one more click before it went into the No. 5 position. So, it clunked back down into the No. 1 position each time.

The Owner's Manual gives the following instruction: "Do not turn the adjusting bolt in the opposite direction" to the procedure described in the manual, and that "The spring preload adjuster will be damaged by the shock" (When the bolt is adjusted in the opposite direction)

I have inadvertently turned the bolt in the opposite direction on both occasions.

How severe is any damage likely to be? If there is likely to be damage, is there any action i should take?

Does any one have any thoughts, advice or opinion that they would like to share about this?

By the way, the bike is a 2017 KLR 650....

Thanks guys

Kind Regards

Timberfoot

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well I hope it doesn't do any damage because I did it Sunday to lower the ride a bit. Actually is slightly mushier but seems more manageable though it could all be in my head.

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
When the Gen 2 was introduced with the '08 model year it came with a new shock and re-designed adjuster. There was quite a kerfluffle with the '08's with a number of owners reporting that the adjusters were breaking. If I recall correctly, KHI fixed those under warranty and quickly fixed the issue. I haven't heard of there being any real issues with the adjuster, 2009 to present.

What Dave said...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys

It did not seem likely that much damage could occur. However, I was a bit worried because the manual states that damage will occur, not that damage may occur

Any way, thanks again for the replies and advice guys..

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
As you've already figured out, try not to do that! I've never had an adjuster apart, but there is a video or two out there, somewheres.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts