Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my new 08 KLR just a few months and once riding weather arrived I’m riding it every day! I love it.

During the week I use it to do a 45 mile each way commute on a 70 mph highway. My chain and sprockets are stock. I run about 5000 rpms. Should I change out the sprockets to get a little better gear ratio? I just think it would be a little less wear on the engine and maybe get me a little better gas mileage (although whose complaining about 48 MPG?). Any other mods worth doing? How many miles are the KLRs good for? Racking up 90 miles a day adds up!

If so, should I just change the front or should I do both? Where is the best place to pick up a sprocket. Living in Idaho I still want to take it in the back country on the weekends.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just changed the sprockets on my '07 with a 16 tooth counter and stock rear sprocket. I got them from KLR650.com and drove up to get them. The o-ring chain, sprockets of choice and chain braker come as a kit for $82.00. Last weekend I spent about 900 miles on the bike (mostly road) and love that 16 tooth counter sprocket. I did however wait until I had the Jardine exhaust and new main needle installed before gearing up. With my weight and general loading I thought it best. I'm 6'4 and 240 without the riding gear on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Les,
Any idea as to what kind of mileage you're getting on this setup? I had heard about the 16T in another thread and would like to do this to my '08 as I ride about 35 miles one way to work...in of all places Idaho, just like Rumblephishe.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The 16 tooth sprocket will net you about 500 RPM's lower than normal. Gains in mileage can vary from 2 mpg up to 5 or 6, it all is dependant upon your riding style, how hard you like to hit the accelorator and of course overall weight. I tried the 16 tooth, but we don't do enough highway riding for the sprocket to be an improvement. We do more back road twisties, mountains and general low gear lugging. With my weight I had to go back to the 15 tooth to gain back the torque I needed. I am even considering the 14 tooth.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I haven't seen any change in the fuel mileage. With the Jardine muffler change and the sprocket change so near to each other its hard to tell. I do know that last weekend when I rode to Missoula I was getting about 48 or so and on the return trip 59. My local riding for work I get around 46-48 which is right near where I was always at.

·
Registered
85 Posts
DXKLR,
What does drilling th slide do for you? I followed your changes mostly to the letter when I installed my Jardine and needle but I don't remember you saying anything about drilling the slide. Perhaps you could bring me up to speed please.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I probably neglected to mention it.. blames "mad cow disease" LOL. Drilling the slide allows it to rise at a quicker rate, giving a better throttle response and quicker pulse of fuel. The jet kit that should have come with your Jardine, if you got it from KLR650 should have the drill bit needed. It is the smaller of the two drill bits.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ah, so I see now. By the way, do you know on any long term problem with riding the bike 400 miles with a tear in the diaphram?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Your plug is close to being burned possibly because you are running it extremely LEAN on the top end. It needs to be fixed ASAP. The needle begins to rise at around 3000 RPM, to give more fuel thru the main jet. Since the diaphragm is torn, the needle cannot rise and you are not getting near enough fuel. Might as well change your plug too. Try the NGK Iridium plug. The drill bit size you need is a 7/64ths.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll get that done when I get the bike back from the dealer. They are covering the diaphram replacement under warrenty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts