Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do mostly hiway riding commuting & grocery getting.I am running Avon Gripsters,nice fit on bike,but I want to lower revs,what size rear sprocket should I change to?? I am not worried about low end,but would like to cut revs 300-500

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
I'm very much happy with the 16 also and would go 17 if there wasn't a clearance issue without Dremeling the case.

That would rock on my highway commute!

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Thanks, Bender!

Cha- Ching! I'm willing to lose on the other end as necessary.
Slower takeoff, using only 1st and second offroad, etc.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you have to do highway miles the 16 is hard to beat. I did it two years ago and still take a trail if I want to. You just need to remember your gearing when you enter that really nasty looking stretch of terrain. Keep the R's up and use the clutch as needed.

I will add that the combination of higher gear ratio and street orientated tires should be your first clue to stay on the hardtop. I have a 16 front sprocket but run with a good aggressive tread on the wheels. I tried off road riding with a pair of Michelin street tires and it was a mess, especially the front tire washing out on anything slippery.

It seems that with the higher gearing you're always going a little faster than would be ideal when riding on a single track. When you combine this with no bite from your front tire you will be down before you know what hit you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Noobee ?
I have a stock "08" and would like to drop a tooth on the primary sprocket. Can you go 1 tooth either way from stock and not have to shorten or lengthen the chain?......
Thanks!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I have a 16 x 42 and the engine is about 1,000 RPMs lower than stock gearing at freeway speeds. Remember that this gearing will reduce the quickness of engine response. Nothing a 685 kit won't cure :)

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I know I can go out and count teeth, but duz anyone know offhand how many teeth are stock on the rear sprocket? (2nd generation.)
15/43 with a 520 chain. Tires and transmission are the same so the gearing should be the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts