Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
772 Posts
Based on those pics, the point of failure could be metal fatigue that may have been caused from welding heat.
Im curious to find out what SRC’s remedy is to the issue. IMO, different grade tubing should be used at the very least. They sure have one heck of a price tag on them. $428 :oops:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Vehicle brake

Ive had the same failure. I was stopped at a stop light and heard a bang, it felt like a hammer had hit something on the bike. As I started to go I had a bunch of vibration in the footpegs. I thought that the engine had just imploded. Got to work and realized that this was the cause of the vibration. I do need to give a shout out to SRC, they have been great throughout this entire process. My replacement bar arrived last week and is now installed. I guess we will see how these continue to hold up. I welded up the broken bar so that I could have some protection for a planned ride. I came around a downhill corner to a guy with a bike standing in the middle of the road and ended up dumping the bike. Yup, that's him at the very edge of the picture looking at the bike as he walked away. My weld held but the entire bar bent into the plastic and I now have broken plastic. I don't have a lot of confidence that these will protect the bike very well if it goes over.

Plant Sky Tire Cloud Plant community

·
Registered
772 Posts
Broke in the exact same place. Bummer

·
Premium Member
2022 KLR Adventure
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
View attachment 36024

Ive had the same failure. I was stopped at a stop light and heard a bang, it felt like a hammer had hit something on the bike. As I started to go I had a bunch of vibration in the footpegs. I thought that the engine had just imploded. Got to work and realized that this was the cause of the vibration. I do need to give a shout out to SRC, they have been great throughout this entire process. My replacement bar arrived last week and is now installed. I guess we will see how these continue to hold up. I welded up the broken bar so that I could have some protection for a planned ride. I came around a downhill corner to a guy with a bike standing in the middle of the road and ended up dumping the bike. Yup, that's him at the very edge of the picture looking at the bike as he walked away. My weld held but the entire bar bent into the plastic and I now have broken plastic. I don't have a lot of confidence that these will protect the bike very well if it goes over.

View attachment 36025
That’s why I opted for a return/refund. Mostly because I was afraid they’d break again and also because they flex a lot and figured when I do drop it they end up in the plastic anyway.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Besides the breakage, the bending into the fairing, which in turn breaking the plastic, is common. Needs that cross bar that connects both sides of the upper wings.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Besides the breakage, the bending into the fairing, which in turn breaking the plastic, is common. Needs that cross bar that connects both sides of the upper wings.
Exactly. That, and a $200 drop in cost and I would be in. They currently have a “made in USA” price point.

Reactions: OCL

·
Registered
387 Posts
KLR-Mule, I'm sure you've looked into the SW Motech one. Theirs is similar in that the protective cage stays low and juts outwards. But the SW Motech has that cross bar to distribute the impact in a fall. Price is $380 I believe. Not cheap....it's got the 2022 Inflation upcharge.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yes I’ve seen them. The Motech’s do not reach up high enough imo.
Still holding out for the Tusk CB’s. But who knows when they will become available & what they’ll look like.
Might just pick up dirtracks or happy trails crash bars if I have to wait much longer.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts