Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Wanted to go for a ride the other day on my 2012 KLR and hear a clicking sound from the starter but the engine isn't turning over.

Thought it might be a battery issue. Removed the battery and discovered that the acid level was low. Refilled and put it on a battery maintainer overnight. No change in symptons.

Double checked with battery charger set at 10A - 12V, still the same.

Any thoughts as to next steps?

jncdi

·
Registered
623 Posts
Put a volt meter on the battery and check voltage when you hit the start button. It should be 10 volts or higher. If it drops below 10, the battery probably needs charged or replaced.

If you replace it, go with an AGM. No more need to check levels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the water level gets so low that it's noticeable, chances are the battery is beyond salvage. Or, if you can recharge it, it will just leave you stranded again soon..... Been there!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Simple test: Jump it with a car battery. If it starts with the jump, your battery is the problem - either under charged or not chargeable.

If the battery proves bad, replace it with an AGM sealed type battery. No more refilling needed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to close the loop here.

The battery was the issue. Installed a new one and all is well.

Thanks again for the help.

jncdi

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I like the ones where the battery is loose and you figure it out just before the Tow truck gets there....
I tried to start my Highlander after filling up the gas tank. Battery would not crank engine over. I tried several times before calling AAA. We sat there for about half hour before he came.
He opened the hood, said "give it a try". Engine started on first try. Battery had regained enough charge to fire it up one more time. ( And! Yes the terminals were tight! ) The battery had been weak, and decided it just would take a short rest.
Moral of story.. If it's run down, give it a while to regain some charge, and try again.
Then get a new battery!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts