Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I am new to the KLR World and just picked up a non-running 88 for $500! The owner before me installed a new fuel valve and hooked up the fuel line that goes to the carb to the vent instead so it wasn't getting any fuel. I switched the lines over and was able to jump the main start solenoid and start the bike in less than 10 mins!

My next project is getting the bike to start with the proper starter button/kill switch. He initially told me that was the issue so I had attempted to take it apart and clean the inside and such but accidentally shattered the red toggle switch (it was fragile 😬). I also ordered another one of amazon that I am going to wire in this weekend: Amazon.com: Handlebar Starter/Kill Switch, Sdootauto 7/8" 22mm Motorcycle Push Button ON/Off Switch for Motorcycle Scooter Pit Dirt Bike Honda Suzuki Yamaha Kawasaki: Industrial & Scientific

I read on another article here: Anyone ever bypass the kill switch? that you can bypass by twisting brown + yellow/red. I did that with the switch apart to see if I could even trigger the starter to turn over and nothing. I checked the voltage and it was completely dead. I attempted to jump it with a line directly from the battery and boom! It turned over.

All of that being said, does anyone have any ideas on why the brown wire would be dead for the kill/starter switch? I have done the clutch and kickstand safety switch bypasses already.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
That is pretty damn funny. $500 and a rubber hose switch and you're off and running…

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is pretty damn funny. $500 and a rubber hose switch and you're off and running…
Haha! Your right, I am honestly thinking about just bypassing all of the other switches and running a separate hot lead up to the switch. Bypass all the other stuff!

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Generation 1 wiring diagrams appear on this website, as well as on the Internet. You might look at these, grab a multi-meter, and start chasing wires for voltage and continuity.

Not trying to blow you off; been there, done that.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Haha! Your right, I am honestly thinking about just bypassing all of the other switches and running a separate hot lead up to the switch. Bypass all the other stuff!
Nah, do it right. You'll be happier in the long run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts