Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2009 KLR 650 only 8500 ml on it . However when cold I use the choke and try to start it. It statrs and dies after 5-10 seconds. I repeat this until it warms up or battery starts to die. Once warmed up it’s good to go. Never an issue. I need help on maybe adjusting the choke.

·
Administrator
8,483 Posts
A 2009 with only 8500 miles on it has sat around a lot. The idle circuit is probably gummed up. It needs cleaning, either manually with a carb tear down or slowly and chemically with something like Seafoam, Techron, or B-12 added to the fuel. Most folks prefer Seafoam.

The hole in the idle jet is about seven hairs in diameter (.015") and it doesn't take much to gum it up, especially with ethanol fuels.

·
Premium Member
7,024 Posts
One should use Full (choke) Cold Start Enrichener & leave the throttle completely closed. Start it and then let it run on Full Enrichment for a full minute or 2 (or even 3 - 5 minutes depending on exactly how cold it is) before one even touches the throttle.

Too many new owners want to close the cold start enrichener Too Soon. The cable adjuster is under the fuel tank, must remove the tank to adjust.

Check your engine oil every chance you get until you learn your bikes appetite for oil consumption.
On another note, if your bike has no record of valve tappet inspection & adjustment, it should be performed soon. Tight valve clearances can aggravate starting issues.

Reactions: Voyager
1 - 4 of 4 Posts