Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Still not resolved my starting issues after a year or more.

On (bad )advice from useless dealers, replaced : relay; battery ;starter motor ; and one-way clutch !!! Still makes the same whinnying as if straining to turn over.
At last found a mechanic who knows what he's about [I live in south France ] He reckons it's the decompressor , failed.
So now, searching for a replacement , not at new price. Is this the same as a replacement of the inlet cam ?

Anyone else had this problem? It seems unusual ?

Is the replacement a major drama ?

Help !

Digger in France

·
Premium Member
6,708 Posts
Hi Guys,
Still not resolved my starting issues after a year or more.

On (bad )advice from useless dealers, replaced : relay; battery ;starter motor ; and one-way clutch !!! Still makes the same whinnying as if straining to turn over.
At last found a mechanic who knows what he's about [I live in south France ] He reckons it's the decompressor , failed.
So now, searching for a replacement , not at new price. Is this the same as a replacement of the inlet cam ?

Anyone else had this problem? It seems unusual ?

Is the replacement a major drama ?

Help !

Digger in France
Graeme,
I'm not so certain your new mechanic knows what he is talking about either!

Sorry blushovl,
But there is not a single Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR) shown on that ebay page!
A couple of Gen 1 side stand safety switches with cables and a non-Kawasaki exhaust cam which does not fit any year of KLR650 regardless of generation.

The KACR is mounted on the RH end of the Exhaust Camshaft.
Graeme, I will suggest that you purchase a Clymer Service Manual for the appropriate year of KLR650. The manual shown is for 2008-up Gen 2s.

Some one may have installed the shim washers on the starter reduction gears in-appropriately and that can jam/restrict the starter rotation. Should be one thrust shim on each side of each of the 2 starter reduction gears. If 3 are installed on either shaft, that gear cluster gets pinched tight by the outer engine cover.

Again I'll suggest service manual, Service manual, Service Manual!

Learn about your machine before you or other mechanics who are apparently also working blind (with out a service manual) does any more harm to your bike.

There are threads on this forum with great pics and videos by Tom Schmitz and others, search for them.
Also try Toms, STUFF THAT I THINK ABOUT site.

·
Premium Member
6,708 Posts
There is an 87-07 KLR650 "A" series Clymer Service Manual down at the bottom. Which would mechanically cover 95% of a KLR "B" series Tengai and maybe 90% a KLR "C" series bike.

Everything inside the engine and starting system would be covered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts