Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just can't remember. I really start the bike without thinking.

Yesterday while on some dirt roads I turned the bike off to talk to a buddy. When I hit the starter again nothin. The first time I ignored it the second I began to question.

Ignition on, out of gear, clutch out, kickstand up. No start

Same as above with the clutch in it started.

I thought before I could start the bike with the clutch in or out as long as it was in neutral.

I just never really payed much attention to starting. It just seemed different for some reason this time.

thanks

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
thumbs -

Dirt road, dust, contaminated interlock switch?

Best I can think of, and I'm not sure it makes sense that pulling in the clutch (which should deactivate it's interlock) would override a malfunctioning kickstand interlock.

As I'm so easily confused, I deactivated my interlocks...

Tom

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Am I correct in that the bike should start with the clutch in or out if the trans is in neutral, kickstand up or down? I just can't remember.

Is there a link somewhere that tells you how to deactivate these interlocks?

thanks

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Gary -

If I can recall correctly, the bike should start in neutral with the clutch lever out, with the kickstand either up or down.

Tom

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thanks. I have been doin a search here on the question. Also lookin at a couple of how to's on the disconnects for the clutch and kickstand. EMike wrote a little thing on the conditions that will allow the bike to start. I will have to go out to the garage and check it again. When your on the road it's sometimes harder to remember exactly what did in fact happen.

thanks again

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Bike starts in neutral no matter what. First, it won't start with the kickstand down. So, just theorizing, if the bike isn't really in neutral but the neutral light is on, that might mean it wouldn't start? I realize this is only tangentially related.

I don't know. I should disconnect that shit. It annoys me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I said we were out ridein so I wasn't payin to much attention.

I just went to the garage and put it in neutral with the kickstand down and the clutch out. It started no problem. It may have been some dust or crap in there somewhere. At least I can now take a little time to figure how I want to do the disconnect. I kinda think it's a good idea for the dirt. Not sure about the street. I have started out once or twice with the stand down. I know that's stupid but then again. LOL Anyway the bike shut down like is supposed to. I always give the stand a kick before I start out the first time. I guess I forgot or missed it. I know I'm suprised. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Yep, I bypassed all the interlocks also for a couple of reasons.

1. All that's just stuff that can leave you stranded on the side of the road scratching your a** trying to figure out whats wrong.

2. I can push start it now if need be.

Also canned the vacuum assist fuel petcock....another thing that can leave you stranded. It's already ingrained into my head to open it before starting and close it when stopped. Old habits die hard.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point about bein able to push start the thing. I thought about that the other day but not in the context of the interlocks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts