Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, so I’ve put about 250 miles on my late 2009 klr, 12,000 miles on it. I’ve had no problems yet, but last night this started happening.

i put 50 miles on the last time i rode about two weeks ago, and have been away so it was sitting for that time. Last night I got back and went to fire her up. it was cold, temp in the high 30s. Started up as always with the choke out, idled for 10 seconds, heard one afterfire pop from the exhaust, then the engine sputtered out. I turned her over again and the engine wouldn’t fire, and I quickly smelled gas. No gas is leaking from the carb though.

At the time I was busy so I waited until today to try again. Same thing happened, fired up, idled for about 15 seconds this time then died out. No afterfire from the exhaust, too.

So that’s where I’m at. The engine is getting compression, spark, and fuel. From my very uninformed logic, it seems like the carb may need a cleaning? I wasn’t able to get the engine to fire with the choke in and throttle open, if that helps.

As with most new owners, I want to see if there’s something I’m overlooking before attempting to repair parts that don’t need repairing. Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
Have you turned your fuel valve handle Forward to Reserve yet?

Have you attached a hose to the carburetor drain nipple and into a clean glass jar & opened the 3mm drain screw to see how much fuel or crud or water might drain out? Then crank the starter motor for 15 seconds to confirm fuel is flowing into & thru the carburetor?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cranked for about 5 seconds on reserve, engine fired once, then nothing for another 5 seconds.

Then drained the float and there was a little bubble of water (can just make it out in the picture) and a few very small pieces of debris. Could even just a little bit of crud be the culprit?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cranked for about 5 seconds on reserve, engine fired once, then nothing for another 5 seconds.

Then drained the float and there was a little bubble of water (can just make it out in the picture) and a few very small pieces of debris. Could even just a little bit of crud be the culprit?
View attachment 29086
And yes I attached a hose to the float nipple, gas flowed out when I cranked the engine so the carb is getting with gas

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As well, just to gove more info, the battery was struggling to crank the engine towards the end. Is it possible the battery was low and just needed a charge? Charging it now either way....

·
Registered
2013 Klr650 1993 XR600 1982 XT550
10 Posts
Hi. Me being a bit of a gorilla I would shut off the gas, remove air filter and spray a little starter fluid/throttle body cleaner in there. See if she fires and will idle on a steady stream of spray... At least you should be able to tell if you have bad gas or a carb issue this way. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi. Me being a bit of a gorilla I would shut off the gas, remove air filter and spray a little starter fluid/throttle body cleaner in there. See if she fires and will idle on a steady stream of spray... At least you should be able to tell if you have bad gas or a carb issue this way. :)
Tried it out, nothing. I took the spark plug out to check that, looks like I'm not getting a spark. Plug looked pretty old, considering they last 10k miles and the bike has 12k probably the original. I ran to the store for a new plug, but it looks like I'm still not getting a spark.

So it seems like we're getting close to the issue... Where should I look next? Check the Ignition coil/relay? The battery seems like it dies very quickly, but I figure if it has enough to turn the starter then it should be fine for the ignition?

·
Registered
2013 Klr650 1993 XR600 1982 XT550
10 Posts
At least you know it's not fuel related. From my limited reading and experience, the newer (2008+) KLR's need at least 9volts to run the ignition. So you are probably right about having enough juice if the starter runs.

I had an issue before the tear down of mine where the wire harness in the dash rubbed through and shorted a neutral wire to ground. So the neutral light was always on. Possibly a different wire got worn through on yours. My KLR was pretty beat up for 15k miles though.

A sudden failure like this after just sitting for a bit though... My guess would be rodent damage? Someone with more experience will probably comment at some point with a more likely place to look. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
910 Posts
I’m suspecting carb issues. If it starts and idles for 15 seconds, then your ignition works. When it dies, does it die like you turned off the key, or does it sputter and die?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m suspecting carb issues. If it starts and idles for 15 seconds, then your ignition works. When it dies, does it die like you turned off the key, or does it sputter and die?
A bit of in between, just a sputter or two then dies, but I’d say closer to turning the key off.. it seemed like how the engine would die when running out of gas. Also for more info, the spark plug was alarmingly loose when I first went to take it out, I didn’t have to crack the plug out at all. Easy enough that I hand turned the thing out from the beginning...

·
Registered
2008 KLR650
48 Posts
I'd be looking into the carb. Those little black specks in that glass are plenty to clog up a jet.
Cheers
Jerry

·
Registered
110 Posts
It may be worth checking the carb vent hose. Bugs have been known to crawl in and plug the hose.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
It may be worth checking the carb vent hose. Bugs have been known to crawl in and plug the hose.
That pink hose which just lays along side the RH frame rail & the airbox may very well be the source of the water droplet & the dusty specs in his glass jar.

I re-route those hoses up and over the main frame spine from RH to LH and then down alongside the shock absorber mount, to nearly eliminate the possibility of water or dust entry in the carb.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That pink hose which just lays along side the RH frame rail & the airbox may very well be the source of the water droplet & the dusty specs in his glass jar.

I re-route those hoses up and over the main frame spine from RH to LH and then down alongside the shock absorber mount, to nearly eliminate the possibility of water or dust entry in the carb.
I took out the carb and gave all the jets a good cleaning based off the recommendations. I was hopeful that I found the issue once I got to the pilot jet, as it went from being the tiniest of openings to a normal looking small opening after using some carb cleaner and compressed air. To me all signs seem to be pointing to the ignition coil. After putting the carb back in I went to check the spark again and this time I didn’t get a single spark. Should I just replace the ignition coil? Or get a multimeter and check it first? Something else that may cause no spark??

And on a side note, huge thanks to everyone who’s offered some help on an easter weekend. This forum was a big reason I went with the klr for my first bike!

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
I was hopeful that I found the issue once I got to the pilot jet, as it went from being the tiniest of openings to a normal looking small opening after using some carb cleaner and compressed air.
I'll ask if you cleaned the 4 low speed transition holes just under the bottom lip of the throttle plate and the pilot mixture hole for the external mixture screw? All 5 of those holes get their fuel from that tiny pilot jet. With the pilot jet removed, one should use a tiny wire like a twisty tie to poke down thru those holes & back flush out thru the pilot jet tower. Then insert the aerosol carb cleaner straw into the pilot jet tower & confirm fluid flow.
The 1st of the 4 holes is normally exposed in front of the throttle plate at normal idle speed setting. Open the throttle plate to see the others.

After putting the carb back in I went to check the spark again and this time I didn’t get a single spark.
If in-doubt of seeing spark, hang onto the spark plug with your bare hand & crank the starter motor. (I'm not joking! Quick & Easy & Accurate.)
Or unscrew the spark plug cap from the coil wire & hold the exposed tip of wire about 3/8 inch from a valve cover bolt & crank the starter motor.

Reactions: yasio

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll ask if you cleaned the 4 low speed transition holes just under the bottom lip of the throttle plate and the pilot mixture hole for the external mixture screw? All 5 of those holes get their fuel from that tiny pilot jet. With the pilot jet removed, one should use a tiny wire like a twisty tie to poke down thru those holes & back flush out thru the pilot jet tower. Then insert the aerosol carb cleaner straw into the pilot jet tower & confirm fluid flow.
The 1st of the 4 holes is normally exposed in front of the throttle plate at normal idle speed setting. Open the throttle plate to see the others.

If in-doubt of seeing spark, hang onto the spark plug with your bare hand & crank the starter motor. (I'm not joking! Quick & Easy & Accurate.)
Or unscrew the spark plug cap from the coil wire & hold the exposed tip of wire about 3/8 inch from a valve cover bolt & crank the starter motor.
As to the tiny holes in the carb, I noticed them and squirted some carb cleaner through. Didn't do a thorough cleaning of them but at least better than missing them completely...

As to the spark, I took off the spark plug cap and turned the motor over with the exposed wire close a bolt, and I am definitely not getting a spark...

I'll go out to get a multimeter today so I can check the coil's resistance, but still hearing any ideas you guys may have..

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
As to the spark, I took off the spark plug cap and turned the motor over with the exposed wire close a bolt, and I am definitely not getting a spark...

I'll go out to get a multimeter today so I can check the coil's resistance, but still hearing any ideas you guys may have..
Maybe the small primary wire terminals are not getting a snug grip on the ignition coil spade terminals?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts