Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After realizing that my stock horn on my 08 is worth a wet duck fart, I realized something must be done. I read on here about the stebel and how to install it, and now I can't find the threads. I know there are many ways to approach it. My brother in law is a sheet metal worker and builds cars, so he can handle it (thank god...not much of a wrencher). So, is there a consensus on how this is accomplished most effectively? And could someone direct me to the thread I can't seem to find?

Thanks!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was another...

Thanks Majorlagg...I did find that one. There was another though with a really slick design...somebody fashioned a metal bracket and put it under the plastic. I swear I remember it. :18:

Anybody?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bueller?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Good Afternoon All Wise and Nimble,

I have finally arranged and installed the Stebel Airhorn. WOW, it is cool, it is loud and it work. The instal was interrupted by the chore of rewiring the accessories:the Rigid Lights, the power cable to the battery. I took the time to redo these items correctly. I rerouted the wiring and redid the connections properly, with shrink tubing on all perminent connections. I exposed the fuses for easy access. Now back to the Stebel. This thing is big and akward. It would not fit anywhere that I could see or imagine. So....I tore it apart or separated the pump from the horn. Now I had two pieces that could fit in a multitude of locations. The pump went behind the radiator coolant reservoir attached to the reservoir frame. The actual horn needed to be somewhere in front. I had the idea of it smoothly going in beside the headlight. It di not go so smoothly. I had to wrestle wit the location and placement of the horn.

To wrap up this rant, I used the invaluable plastic zip tie to attach the horn up inside the front fairing so that the trumpets pointed out through the fairing mesh (see picture) It is nicely placed and it does not interfere with the sound projection and the sound is projected forwards not sidewards. Upon replacing the fairing I noticed that it is ever so slightly askew. This is fixable with a little adjustment to the zip ties.

I am very pleased as i accomplished three projects in one. It looks and sounds great. Next project: Dashboard.

Snakeboy66/ Sean

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

To wrap up this rant, I used the invaluable plastic zip tie to attach the horn up inside the front fairing so that the trumpets pointed out through the fairing mesh (see picture) It is nicely placed and it does not interfere with the sound projection and the sound is projected forwards not sidewards. Upon replacing the fairing I noticed that it is ever so slightly askew. This is fixable with a little adjustment to the zip ties.
Nice work... one thing white zip ties get brittle and break when exposed to UV. The black ones are UV resistant.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Here's how I mounted mine:

Start with a very simple aluminum bracket.

Mount it here.

Mount the relay here (red square).

Here it is mounted and wired.

And with the plastic on.

Loud enough to quite possibly knock the stupid out of people.

Not sure why the pick didn't stay rotated????

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
RE: Stebel Nautilus Air Horn

Good Evening All Wise and Spatially inclined,

Spec, you are correct. The white zip ties do become brittle, but since they are out of direct sunlight they should do well. I will probably redo them in black in the near future. I appreciate the heads up.

Sardog1, that is a nice setup. It is simple and accessible. I like to be difficult and hide things. Those sweet lines of the KLR are eye candy to me. It is somewhat akin to the sleeper effect. You never know whats under the hood. How does the position that you have the horn work in the rain. Any problems?

I truly enjoy the effect the horn has on cagers. The shear look of terror on the faces of those not paying attention. I blast that Stebel and they immediately take notice, thinking it is a big truck. Nope, just a fellow KLR rider bringing them back to reality.

Air Horn + KLR = Safer Ride. Nice equation.

Snakeboy66

·
Administrator
8,244 Posts
Nicely done, both. These are added to the "Mods and Issues" stickie.

T

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
How does the position that you have the horn work in

Snakeboy66
This position was really the easiest choice for my 09. It is out of harms way and positioned for maximum volume.

I've ridden in a few good downpours since installing it and it still works just fine. They give you that plastic 90 for the intake to attach a hose for use as a type of snorkel, but I haven't found the need to install it so far.

It is extremely loud and has a comical effect on cagers that are distracted.

The OEM horn is a joke especially at slab speeds. I feel that this horn is almost as important as wearing a helmet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts