20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever put a stereo on their bike
I think it would be cool to have AM/FM radio and a way to hook up my ipod

Sometimes it gets boring going down the road singing to no music

·
Registered
517 Posts
Get a chatterbox xbi2 and put it in your helmet.

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
I find I like to have some tunes when I'm on the open road, too. For a while I used SkullCandy ear buds. The sound quality was good and they reduced wind noise a bit, but they would pull out of my ears and irritate me some times.
I bought a pair of Giro snowboard helmet speakers and installed them. The sound quality isn't as good, but they have a volume control and a mute button, which is handy. I find them less bothersome and the tunes are more like background noise. Wind noise is a problem, but that's more a function of my helemt's design than the speakers.

Tom

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was kind thinking I wanted something that wont go in my helmet....
I found this system over at Amazon...
I would post the link but I don't have enough posts yet...
Just go to amazon and search for Pyle PLMCA10
Its a complete 100watt system with 2 speakers for $68.72
You think the bike would have the juice to power it?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was kind thinking I wanted something that wont go in my helmet....
I found this system over at Amazon...
I would post the link but I don't have enough posts yet...
Just go to amazon and search for Pyle PLMCA10
Its a complete 100watt system with 2 speakers for $68.72
You think the bike would have the juice to power it?

I’d be interested to know if you can hear your music over the sound of your bike & wind.

I was using an Ipod with headphones I velcroed into my helmet. Since the only volume control was on the Ipod in my pocket, some of the music was still hard to hear while others would blow out your eardrums and I was completely out of the loop during any conversation at quick stops. Then got smart and took the communicator off my snowmobile helmet and attached to my bike helmet along with the speakers made for the helmet, much better plus I have easy access to volume now. Collett Platinum 900, water proof, two channels, and input for two up. Works good!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I use a set of Shure Noise Reducing earbuds. They're designed to go in your ear with the cord up and forwards, and you actually run the cord over your ear and then down.. This way, when you put your helmet on you're not pulling on the headphone or cord.

They're just like earplugs, except they have a tube through them that the music's piped through.. I connect them to my Zune..

The reason I like these?? I wear earplugs when riding any of my bikes (except the Wing) to drown out wind noise.. These earbuds are basically earplugs with music.. I get rid of the wind noise (which will ruin your hearing in no time flat) and I get music to keep the open road interesting..

I already have bad hearing in my family, so I need to protect my hearing as best I can but I still want to ride, so I've been wearing earplugs while riding for 20 years. (10 too late, but I can't go back in time).

With the Wing, earplugs are a waste.. The only thing I hear is the stereo, anyway.. No wind noise, engine's pretty much silent, and the only thing that's louder than the stereo is the horn.. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use a set of Shure Noise Reducing earbuds. They're designed to go in your ear with the cord up and forwards, and you actually run the cord over your ear and then down.. This way, when you put your helmet on you're not pulling on the headphone or cord.

They're just like earplugs, except they have a tube through them that the music's piped through.. I connect them to my Zune..

The reason I like these?? I wear earplugs when riding any of my bikes (except the Wing) to drown out wind noise.. These earbuds are basically earplugs with music.. I get rid of the wind noise (which will ruin your hearing in no time flat) and I get music to keep the open road interesting..

I already have bad hearing in my family, so I need to protect my hearing as best I can but I still want to ride, so I've been wearing earplugs while riding for 20 years. (10 too late, but I can't go back in time).

With the Wing, earplugs are a waste.. The only thing I hear is the stereo, anyway.. No wind noise, engine's pretty much silent, and the only thing that's louder than the stereo is the horn.. :)
Hmmmm..... you have inspired me to ride more.... eventually I won't have to hear my wife run her jaws :28:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Hmmmm..... you have inspired me to ride more.... eventually I won't have to hear my wife run her jaws :28:
It's true.. :)

I have lost a fair amount of high pitch hearing in my left ear.. If there's a cricket in the house keeping me awake at night, all I have to do is roll over on the pillow with that ear, and no more cricket..

I just hope to never get to the point my Dad's at, answering questions that are so off from what was answered, it's beyond funny..

How's the lawn mower running??
Huh? I think they won last night, didn't they??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sangean DT-200X.
I have it's predecessor, lasted 5 years before losing a channel, having been dropped, soaked, and beat on mercilessly. Fits in the tank bag, battery friendly in that it has auto shut down, is stereo, great range. Less than $50 everywhere, can power helmet speakers.

Stupid place won't let me post url's or pics yet, so search it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sangean DT-200X.
I have it's predecessor, lasted 5 years before losing a channel, having been dropped, soaked, and beat on mercilessly. Fits in the tank bag, battery friendly in that it has auto shut down, is stereo, great range. Less than $50 everywhere, can power helmet speakers.

Stupid place won't let me post url's or pics yet, so search it out.
i've thought about getting one of those for my when I mow the lawn! I was looking at the 400w model that does the weather too...
It has a head phone jack so I could even jack it into the stereo system that I ordered for the KLR

·
Registered
14 Posts
i've thought about getting one of those for my when I mow the lawn! I was looking at the 400w model that does the weather too...
It has a head phone jack so I could even jack it into the stereo system that I ordered for the KLR
I had poor luck with it plugged into a MixIt-2 on my FJR-they didn't get along. I would just plug into it directly. This newer version may work better though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What you need is a stiletto 2 ll satellite radio receiver. Then all you need is a ram mount for it so you can attach it to the bike and then your golden. I just hook my earbuds up to it and listen to it that way. Nothing better than listening to satellite radio when your out on the open road!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

It has a volume range from 0-30. I've come to the conclusion that the KLR is a pretty quiet bike... i think there is more wind noise than bike noise......
anyway... at 55mph you have to turn it up to about 22..... at 45mph and slower.. 15 is just fine....... its definately easier to hear under 45 but just crank it up for the highway.....

I ordered a laminar lip for my bike... we'll see if that will reduce some of the wind noise.

·
Registered
913 Posts
How do you think the mounts are going to hold up on the trails?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The mounts are metal and basically the mirrors hold them on.. the speakers themselves are made out of plastic..... the good thing is that they are inside and your handguards should save them from getting beat up..... I would think a good wack though could brake the plastic speaker off of the metal mount.
Also.. i got stuck in the rain. and my volume was going all crazy and stuff...
I think this problem could be easily fixed if i silicone the connections in the back of the unit. the speakers, power and also remote plug into the back.... i do not use the remote wire... seems pointless to me. I can turn it up and down right from the unit itself....
But I suppose the remote would be a good thing if you wanted to hide the unit somewhere.... I was messing with the remote and it doesn't seem to have all the features the unit does..... also.. the unit has a clock on it.. which is kind of nice....
I don't think it uses alot of power since its inline with a 5 amp fuse

1 - 17 of 17 Posts