Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I'm considering a 650 KLR as a second bike to give my old Triumph a rest from time to time, plus I live in northern Arizona so I have plenty of trails to explore. I'm looking in the lower end of the price range at around $2500 or less, any suggestions on mileage limits or big dollar rebuilds I need to know about. Other than them shifting on the wrong side they look like a cool bike.
Thanks.
Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mark,
I'm kind of in the same boat as you are. I also have an old triumph that needs some time off the road and givin a little tlc. But if you look around the forum there are plenty of people here to give advice and there are always bikes for sale. I'm still hunting for the right one myself. But like I said happy hunting and welcome.:16a:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I found a 1996 KLR. I made the transition from right shift to left without much problem. I find the KLR a much higher bike with less manuverability than the Triumph, but it is a smoother bike at all speeds. Other than a VERY hot exhaust pipe (700+degrees) it runs fine. I did a valve adjustment and that was no big deal. I like it, but I still ride the Triumph more, go figure.
Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out for a ride

I took the KLR out for a combo street and dirt trail ride. First off I do not like the stock seat, I seem to always slide forward as the back is higher, so I'll have to work on that. The rear brake is not much to brag about, I noticed on some steep downhill I had a hard time as 1st gear would not hold and niether would the brake. But all in all its fun. Now on the road this bike is a kick, handles great and is a good runner. I normaly ride an old restoered Triumph so vibration is not a problem, I actually think its a rather smooth running bike.
I'll have to work on upgrading a few things the more I ride it.
Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an old Bonney also (71) It's beautiful, and I love it. My buddy refers to it as my "Zip Code Bike". Says you sure don't want to ride it out of your own zip code. Now, as far as the shift/brake pedal situation..........I find that as I switch from one to the other, I have to conciously consider how to stop the thing, every time I approach a stop sign. Of course, if all else fails, you just push down on all the pedals, and pull on all of the levers. It will stop eventually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have figured out the left shift / right brake, I just wish it had a little more brake. Come on you can take the old triumphs anyplace, Ted Simon rode one around the world in the early 70's.
Mark

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
A 650 in early 70's shouldn't be a problem. I bought my -72 for 9500 SEK (Approx. 1600$). It's in perfect shape in exception for the kick arm which is worn out but can be replaced.

Edit: Mileage for my bike is 2500 km = 4000miles, it's been standing in a garage most of it's years, with regular starts not to waste the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts