Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just a warning that if you are planning a trip to Montreal do so with care. Too late I found out that it is the #1 Automobile theft capital of North America, well above all other US and Canadian cities. I brought my 05 KLR with me on a recent buisness trip to Montreal. I had the bike securely mounted in the back of the truck and parked at my motels attended parking lot for one day when someone stole the whole lot, truck and bike and of course all of my riding gear that was in the truck. The thief even handed the attendant my parking pass. This was done in broad daylight 100 ft from the attendand with no signs of a break in. It won't matter if its locked in a trailer either as I heard they steal the whole lot. It is a port city and I guess they all are gone in no time with no chance of recovery. So avoid Montreal if you can, I will.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I can second that. Two years ago we took a job at the Shell refinery in Montreal. We drove there in a Ford F-350 Dually pulling an equipment trailer. Had been there about two weeks staying at the Royal Versailles (not as fancy as it sounds) went out to go to work and all that was left was an empty parking space. Did a police report (in french) and learned that Montreal is number one in car theft and our truck was most likely already at sea.

Kind of odd that the cameras at the hotel were not functioning that night.

·
Registered
815 Posts
WOW!! No doubt both these incidents were inside jobs. How else would every other local vehicle still be around? So it's clearly about stealing from outsiders. Both of these incidents should be reported on national television to alert all future visitors.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
intotheabis,

Sorry to hear of your losses. Surely they will show up somewhere soon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
quebec is also earning a reputation for snowmobilers having the whole truck/trailer rig stolen. a shame for Canada is such a nice place to visit and the vast majority are so willing to help...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike.

I know we have our problems here in the United States of America but anymore I have absolutely no desire to leave the soil of my country unless I were called upon to do so with one whole hell of a lot of armed men! Sorry but that is how I feel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts