Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
856 Posts
I also think there is some difference between the lithium-iron(Shorai) for example and other lithium type batteries such as brands using (lithium-ion). Just .02

· Premium Member
12,557 Posts
I started my bike last week in sub-freezing conditions for 2 reasons.

#1, This thread and to give all of us a better understanding of lithium batteries benefits & draw backs depending on our usage & climate.

#2, To load it onto the trailer to bring it out of the snow & up to my shop. Because the streets are now ice & snow packed.
Last year I had 2 great rides after Thanksgiving in near freezing start-up temps, but dry road conditions.
November 28th & December 12th.

My older lithium battery performs quite well at 35F+. Just give it that 2-5 minutes of headlight on time to warm its guts a bit.

· Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,875 Posts
I've read in several places that the batteries for vehicle use are LiFePO, not lithium-ion polymer, like in our phones and laptops. Reasons include more robust, better vibration resistance, and better at taking high-amp and deep cycle discharges and recharges. Anyway, I'm not entirely positive about that (pun intended). ;)

· Registered
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
344 Posts
So, I took what is likely the last ride of the year the other day and the bike is in my non-heated garage with half a tank of non-ethanol premium fuel in it. I let it sit for a month prior to the ride, and the battery didn't have enough juice to start it. I had to remove the battery, clean connections, and charge it in the warm house.

Bike then started right up. I'm planning on upgrading the OEM battery to a lithium unit that is lighter and higher-cranking.

The dealer I bought the bike from installed a battery tender plug-in, so it is ready to go. However, I think that you have to buy a battery tender that is specific for a lithium or AGM battery, correct?

I don't want to buy a battery tender for the OEM battery, and then when I go to upgrade to the lithium, need to buy another battery tender.

So, I'm thinking that the bike will just sit for the next four months and when I am ready to ride in the spring, just plan on buying the new lithium battery.

My last toy was a Honda Pioneer 500 UTV with an OEM battery and I would go out and start it once a month at least to let it warm up and even drive it around in the snow. It never needed a new battery in 4 years.

But, it seems like the OEM battery in the KLR needs fully charged after sitting in cold weather for more than a couple of weeks due to the KLR not liking to start in cold weather.

For those that don't use a battery tender with the OEM battery and are in cold climates, how often do you have to go out and start the bike in order to keep the battery from dying? Once a week? Every two weeks?
Yes - you do need a specific type of battery tender for a Lithium battery. Check out the Ctek (Swedish charger company) education website. Battery charging I don't think the short time running a bike without riding it would provide enough charge to equal the energy used to crank the bike. An intelligent battery tender/charger is the way to go.

· Registered
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
344 Posts
Yes - there is Lithium ion, lithium iron and lithium ion phosphate batteries
Battery technology is changing all the time. The Japanese, for example, are conducting massive research into different electrolyte formulas. Obviously with the "Green Revolution" there is massive interest - and potential profits to be made

· Registered
82 Posts
I read an article recently that says don't charge a lithium battery in below 0F as it can start on fire. They said no need to charge over the winter. it will keep it's charge. I think they said turn the ignition on for a while to let the battery slowly come to temp for starting in the cold.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,411 Posts
Now that I think of it…my iPhone will often show 1% battery life, even when it’s been charged to 100%. This only happens when I ride my motorcycle in below-freezing weather. They also have a lithium battery.

Never had a problem with AGM batteries in cold weather conditions.
Think I’ll stick with em, as I don’t want to spend $150 on a lithium battery that could potentially have poor cold-cranking performance. Who has time for that nonsense.

· Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Never had a problem with AGM batteries in cold weather conditions.
Think I’ll stick with em, as I don’t want to spend $150 on a lithium battery that could potentially have poor cold-cranking performance. Who has time for that nonsense.
Yep, everyone has different wants, needs expectations and budget........but I figure that if I haven't had any issues in over 10 years, that I have no "nonsense" to worry about. In fact, the Lithiums crank over and start my KLR's faster than a new lead acid battery ever did. Frankly, I'm shocked the batteries have lasted this long with zero attention and for me the 9 lb weight savings was worth it by itself.

All that said, an AGM or lead acid battery will work just fine.

Cheers,
Dave

21 - 32 of 32 Posts