Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 KLR with 13K miles. Never any issues and while riding on the highway, my lights and instruments went off and found the main fuse blown. I have disconnected segments of the harness checking for shorts with no avail. I ended up installing a 20 amp circuit breaker because of blowing so many glass fuses.
What I have found is it trips the breaker about 5 minutes into my ride, the techometer and temperature gauge go to zero, but after riding a few more minutes the gauges and lights come back on and I reach down and reset the breaker. What I'm baffled with is why I lose all power to my lights, the temperature and techometer read 0, but will come back to life in a few minutes using stator power only.
I'm leaning towards a bad voltage regulator, but shouldn't be intermittent like that. I can ride days with no issue and other times trips on my way from or to work.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
You should use an H4 headlight bulb 12V 55/60 watt (gets very hot) or an automotive tungstan bulb (quite a bit cooler to handle) with its H & L terminals joined to make a 115 watt non-blowable fuse with jumper leads connecting the fuse terminals. Dim bulb with normal current flow, turns full Bright during a short circuit when wiggling wires or turning the steering.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts