Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...
When I´m in the highway and reach 135Km/h in my KLR I noticed some strange movements in the steering. I thought it may be the stock tires so I change them by a pair of Pirelli´s Scorpion Trail but nothing change.
Maybe this motorcycle aerodynamics are not prepared for that speed... I don´t know.
To prevent the bike from moving like that I have to go perfectly still on the bike... any small movement (like move my butt in the seat) makes the bike starts to wiggle and it scares me a little so I have to decelerate a little and the bike runs still again...
Any thoughts???

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hello...
When I´m in the highway and reach 135Km/h in my KLR I noticed some strange movements in the steering. I thought it may be the stock tires so I change them by a pair of Pirelli´s Scorpion Trail but nothing change.
Maybe this motorcycle aerodynamics are not prepared for that speed... I don´t know.
To prevent the bike from moving like that I have to go perfectly still on the bike... any small movement (like move my butt in the seat) makes the bike starts to wiggle and it scares me a little so I have to decelerate a little and the bike runs still again...
Any thoughts???
Sounds like "high-speed wobble" to me, but I haven't experienced it on the KLR. (But I don't think I've ever had the bike past 120 kph, and I usually cruise at 115.) If I'm going 115 kph and I give one side of the bars a little shove, they will oscillate a little but will quickly dampen and return to center. But I could easily see how if there were more energy in the system how it might not dampen.

I would guess that there might be ways to change your suspension settings to help help prevent it, and/or make sure you don't have too much weight on the rear rack. But this is outside my area of expertise.

The advice I've heard in a wobble is to keep a relaxed grip on the bars, and let up on the throttle. Some people suggest rear brake, too. YMMV.

·
Registered
34 Posts
135kmh is almost like warp speed to a KLR :11:

Mine gets a bit funny up that high, 120kmh is about the fastest I'll go, above that those tall tires tend to not want to move at all.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i agree.... with everyone :wave2:

you're right, with the big front fender and hand guards hanging out there, she's just not aerodynamic enough for those speeds. you could remove the hand guards and replace the front fender and make it a little more stable but the bike / engine wasn't really designed to be operated at those speeds at least for any long period of time.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
That scared feeling is trying to tell you something, brother.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Welcome kmsz

I agree with LJ, the bike is giving you some feed back that needs to be looked into so to rule out any other causes. Granted the bike is being operated at speeds that are pushing the envelope for a KLR, but....

First thing I’d check are the steering head bearings. Just get the front wheel off the ground, kneel in front and push / pull on the wheel feeling for any play indicating loose or worn head bearings. Then go to the handlebars with one finger on the bar ends and push through the range from stop to stop. They should move freely without any dragging or tight spots. Now look where the fork tubes are positioned in the triple trees. The end caps should be above with just a tiny bit of the tubes exposed equally. They could also have been assembled causing binding but we can get into that later if needed.

As was mentioned earlier baggage and loading also play a part. Are you using saddle bags?

Ahh Lima. Last years Dakar rally went from Lima to Santiago. This year I see its from Rosario to Valparaiso?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
also something as simple as air pressure in the tires or worn tires can make a difference at that speed. i personally dont like to take mine over 65. i do 70 on occasions but mine likes 65. thats mph btw ike these guys said you are pushing the bike a little hard for what it is.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
I have strange movements too when I get my KLR up to 135 kph. Usually requires me to change my shorts. Guess that's all explained in my signature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with all of you that the KLR should not go at that speed but most of the folks I ride with have those 1200 GS and KTM Adventure so I have to try not to be behind them without falling far behind... that´s why I have to push the bike to go a little faster. But this problem is only on highways, when we enter to trails that difference is shortened. But maybe I should change of friends hahaha... a new group with just KLR's.

I was in the departure of the Dakar this year and was my second Dakar... very nice experience, it's a shame that the organization change the countries for the next season, something about money I heard... but that would be a good excuse to take a longer trip next year!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
yeah a klr just isnt going to keep up with those bikes. it's not meant to.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Just had a look at your photo album. Wow, looks like you have some great places to ride.

I also notice it looks like you have the bike loaded down pretty heavily in the rear. My KLR decidedly does not like saddlebags at the speeds you describe. Have you checked the "sag" of the bike loaded like that with you on it? You want around 1/3 compression on the suspension front and rear. About all you can do in stock form is crank the preload of the rear shock all the way up.

Looks like you are keeping good company. I especially like the "orange" bikes !!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just had a look at your photo album. Wow, looks like you have some great places to ride.

I also notice it looks like you have the bike loaded down pretty heavily in the rear. My KLR decidedly does not like saddlebags at the speeds you describe. Have you checked the "sag" of the bike loaded like that with you on it? You want around 1/3 compression on the suspension front and rear. About all you can do in stock form is crank the preload of the rear shock all the way up.

Looks like you are keeping good company. I especially like the "orange" bikes !!!
x2 about the suspension adjustment / loading of freight - my KLR is stable enough right up to top speed with the rear suspension set up.

If we ride 2 up and don't adjust the rear the steering will wander.

I don't have saddle bags but they will assist in upsetting the handling at higher speeds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts