Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...My 2000 KLR is making a strange noise when I accelarate. I thought it was the chain hitting the chain guard or something because that's what it sounds like, if you can imagine that type of sound. So today I tightened the chain because it was actually pretty loose but the sound is still there. It almost sounds like two pieces of something rubbing together, like a crack or something and when I gas it they rub and make that kind of sound, like two pieces of plastic or metal rubbing together. It's coming from the front of the bike, like around the radiator or maybe the forks or front sprocket area...not really sure but definately the front of the bike.

Is there anything inside the engine or around the shifter that would make a sound like that? Something that commonly wears out maybe?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've never heard anything but the muffled sound I make when I say "Wheeee" in a helmet or the whistled theme music from the Great Escape.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've never heard anything but the muffled sound I make when I say "Wheeee" in a helmet or the whistled theme music from the Great Escape.
Hahah Awesome!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy shit .... What a Ride!
Cheers, Nick

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ever hear of these?

Hmm...never heard of it..lol. I will have to look that up and check it out.
That would be the doohickey and the counterbalancer chain!:50::animal0019:
A common source of excessive sound when not adjusted correctly. Even produces sound when adjusted correctly too.:t1202:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Sheddster, arn't you perhaps giving gas while your revs are too low? My 2006 knocks like mad if I accelerate under 2500 rpm.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Hi Sheddster, arn't you perhaps giving gas while your revs are too low? My 2006 knocks like mad if I accelerate under 2500 rpm.
Ahhhh, I think you may be on to something there. I was trying to imagine the noise the OP was describing. How about it Sheddster?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I think that was part of it, but today I did something that seems to have quieted the noise almost completely....I changed the oil and filter. Not sure when the last time the previous owner changed it but it was definately time. I used a K&N high flow filter and Rotella T 15W40. The bike runs so much better and even vibrates alot less.

I still hear the noise though. I think it has something to do with the clutch or tranny or something. Not really sure how motorcycle transmissions work or else I could probably figure out what it is. I could probably look it up but I'm too lazy. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Check your chain. If it has not been maintained well it could cause some odd noise. I had a chain that had 2-3 bad links that were super stiff and when they ran thru the small front sprocket they made a strange noise. The noise changed depending on speed and acceleration or decelleratioin.

I checked the chain and found that the bad links would not bend and thus the noise. After replacing the chain and sprockets it ran smooth as silk.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check your chain. If it has not been maintained well it could cause some odd noise. I had a chain that had 2-3 bad links that were super stiff and when they ran thru the small front sprocket they made a strange noise. The noise changed depending on speed and acceleration or decelleratioin.

I checked the chain and found that the bad links would not bend and thus the noise. After replacing the chain and sprockets it ran smooth as silk.
Thanks that is something that I will look into. I might just get a new chain today anyway. It was really loose when I got the bike.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe I have found the culprit...I took the front sprocket cover off of the bike today to see which sprocket I have (Turned out to be a 16T) and found alot of metal shavings and a tiny o-ring mixed in with some grunge. I could see where the chain has been slapping against the cover and has ground a chain shaped groove into it. So it's definately time for a chain/sprocket change. I tightened the chain last week I think it was and it's already loose again. I was going to order the kit from one of the sites mentioned here in the forums but they were all sold out so I went to the old standby...amazon and ordered the sprocket/chain kit and the chain breaker tool. Should be all set when it get's here. Not riding in the meantime though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there oil leaking from the output shaft seal?
Well there is nothing "dripping" from anywhere on the bike, although the grunge around the inside of the cover was a little moist. Not sure with what. We've had alot of rain here lately so it could have been water. But no, there is nothing obviously leaking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts