Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 is running great, but when I come to a stop I get a weird noise. Maybe the last five feet or so. It's kind of a whistling sound. Really quiet. Sounds kind of like the sound they make when wiley coyote falls or maybe like birds singing if they only knew one note. Sounds kind of like the gas cap whistle when it is full and sitting in the sun. I am 99% sure it's not the brakes. It's really quiet, so I can't pinpoint it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
strange noise...........

Mr. lockjaw,
My guess is the noise comes from the front brake rotor passing between the brake pads.
You can hear it trackside at roadraces, coming from riders using the brakes very hard. some designs make more and different noise.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I agree with the brake idea, but it might also actually be the gas tank valveing - if you don't want to remove the check valves, you can lube/clean the rubber parts. I just used Armorall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
whistle sound

I agree as well.

I have heard the same sound and believe it to be coming from the wave rotor of the front brake. The pitch of the sound lowers as the the wheel slows down.

KG

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I'm baffled.

The noise is still there. It sounds like birds whistling. I hear it most times when I am slowing down, but the brakes are not applied yet. I don't know if it always makes the sound and I just can't hear it going faster. The bike is running great, but the weird whistling is tripping me out. Anybody experienced this?:confused:

Oh, and it seems worse on hot days, but I don't think it is the gas cap. It is not a constant whistle (I get that on hot days, too).

·
Registered
18 Posts
More on Weird Noise

I have a few other thoughts on what might be causing the noise.

1.The brake pads might be slightly rubbing on the rotor, even when brakes not applied. That would account for a sound and when it is hotter, both the brake rotor and pads will increase a little in thickness making the sound appear. Just a guess.

2. The speedometer mechanism is attached to the front wheel. Perhaps the gearing in it is slightly noisey?

3. This is a long shot, tire tread noise????

Good luck sourcing the noise. I enjoy figuring this stuff out when t happens to me.

Ken

·
Registered
815 Posts
I recently had a strange whistling type noise that I swear was coming from the brakes... ended up being the front sprocket needing some lube. Noises on these KLR's seem to always be coming from places they aren't.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Truer words....

Truer words may have been spoken Wanderer, but not today:

'Noises on these KLR's seem to always be coming from places they aren't."

I am still on the hunt. Thanks for the ideas. Keep em coming.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no ****ing clue...

Anyone got any more ideas...it's driving me crazy. Hasn't gone away...can't figure it out. :mad0235:

·
Registered
272 Posts
strange noise

I am not insisting on the brake being the source here, but, beware of this:
even when you are not applying pressure to the brakes, the pads are still in light rub contact with the rotor (disc)
If you would like to test the theory of this being the cause of the noise. you could try this: lift the front wheel off the ground one way or another so that you can spin the wheel freely. listen for the noise.
then push the brake caliper open so there is no contact between pads and rotor, then spin the wheel. listen carefully.

Does the noise cease when the rolling does? If the noise is from the gas cap vent, it may not stop when the vehicle stops, but the rotor based noise will.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a good call, thanks. I'll try it this weekend. The only reason I am hesitant to blame the brakes is that the noise stays constant through the braking process whether more or less pressure is applied. But your idea is a good one. Thank you.

·
Registered
272 Posts
strange noise

WARNING WARNING; If you spread the brake pads to check for a change in the noise. PUMP IT BACK UP before you ride it.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tried the open gas cap. Still there. Going to figure this out. :character00268:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts