Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, first time posting but wanna show you guys what I did to my KLR and share and hear opinions and thoughts!
Even if you guys don't like, please tell - no aggressions please hahaha I wanna hear from you guys!

Everything is custom made, the seat frame, seats and the front bracket with the 2 headlights... will post more photos if you guys like it :)

this is a work in progress, some parts still need to be painted, some stuff will go away, some new stuff will come and we go on!

thanks,
Alex

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
The OP will need 14 more postings before he can readily post pics. I have seen new members do pics on 1st post, they must be computer wizzes.

Its an Anti-Spammer measure.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
He's using Google, which won't work on a forum because Google doesn't generate a URL with a .jpg extension. The forum's software HTML requires the .jpg extension.

I swore I was never going to fix another Google photo but, because I'm such a good looking guy with a groovy personality, I'll do it one more time.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It looks great I must say. Not all that practical...it's a KLR forum after all :) You're going to turn some heads for sure!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's using Google, which won't work on a forum because Google doesn't generate a URL with a .jpg extension. The forum's software HTML requires the .jpg extension.

I swore I was never going to fix another Google photo but, because I'm such a good looking guy with a groovy personality, I'll do it one more time.

thank you so much for doing that, yeah - I've tried to post - but couldn't! What do you think?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks great I must say. Not all that practical...it's a KLR forum after all :) You're going to turn some heads for sure!
patroy75, I ride alone - my GF is not a big fan of being a passenger on motorcycles! So, I did something for the city only here in the midwest is city, boring a** highways or cornfields... the KLR was my choice because of price, reliability and the simplicity of its build!

I will keep updating it to where I really have planned! But tell me if you guys have any tips on how to improve this.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
I would like to know its current 'curb weight' with a full tank of fuel or near empty tank. There is a 'Thread for that' somewheres on here. We just use a 2 x 4 under one tire or the other with a bathroom scale under the other tire. (Unless you have 2 bathroom scales. :) )

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
thank you so much for doing that, yeah - I've tried to post - but couldn't! What do you think?
You're quite welcome. The forum software has a built-in protocol for posting pictures, which is [IM G]ww w.yadda.com/pitcher.jpg[/IM G]. If you don't have a URL for the picture that includes the picture filename with suitable image extension (.jpg, .png, .img, etc), then it won't work. Google is not set up to do that, it is set up for storage and mobile device sharing. Plus, many of the Google URLs are hundreds of characters long and the software just tosses its cookies with that.

If you are going to post pictures (which we invite and encourage!) you can either attach them to the post or host them on imgur, smugmug, flickr, any similar image hosting website, or your own website such that you can get that URL with the image filename. All three of the ones I mentioned are popular, free, and easy to use.

Now, to the bike! While it is not my cup of tea, I can see that it is well done and it looks like an absolute hoot to ride. I'd ditch that stock tank, though, and try to fit something like an old KZ 1000.

This is a different sort of bike but, to me, it sets the high mark for Krazy KLR Kustom Krafsmanship:

Reactions: KiLleR_Ride

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
I would like to know its current 'curb weight' with a full tank of fuel or near empty tank. There is a 'Thread for that' somewheres on here. We just use a 2 x 4 under one tire or the other with a bathroom scale under the other tire. (Unless you have 2 bathroom scales. :) )
Yeah, good point; that would set the benchmark for how low you can possibly get the KLR since there isn't much left.....and nothing that you can do without!

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
patroy75, I ride alone - my GF is not a big fan of being a passenger on motorcycles! So, I did something for the city only here in the midwest is city, boring a** highways or cornfields... the KLR was my choice because of price, reliability and the simplicity of its build!

I will keep updating it to where I really have planned! But tell me if you guys have any tips on how to improve this.

Thanks,
Alex
Alex,
Welcome. The bike looks great - good job. I'm not gonna lie, to me it seems like a waste of a KLR since it's no longer capable of offroad travel and I'm an offroad guy. I also figure that there are a ton of older streetbikes for cheap that you could get the similar "cafe" look with and most have far more power......but if you factor in bad roads (that can use the KLR's long travel suspension) and the decent reliablility, longevity and mileage, then it starts to make more sense. It still reminds me of a Jeep Wrangler with Pirelli P Zero's but I'm keeping an open mind!

Other than a tank swap, as Tom mentioned, I don't have any constructive criticism to add.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
233 Posts
I like it. Honestly it doesn't really give up much off road capability just a little ground clearance. Nice work. I might loose the front plastics as well and make some kind of radiator shroud/guard myself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys, thank you so much for the good words! I really appreciate!

@DPelletier - I'm not an offroad person - my thing is more street and commute; the KLR was pretty cheap when I got it with 6k miles for only $2.300,00. I'm a 6'1 guy and i like the idea of being on top of a larger motorcycle and see over the roof of the cars ahead, street bikes are not my style in general.

Also, ground clearance is basically the same, since it only took 3inches off it with the new exhaust pipe. The sound is just incredible!!!

The tank swap is the next project together with new front headlights... those are just temporary.

I'm in between the kz1000 or kz1000r... I think the square look of the R will look very very nice with this bike.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
patroy75, I ride alone - my GF is not a big fan of being a passenger on motorcycles! ............................................................................................But tell me if you guys have any tips on how to improve this.

Thanks,
Alex
Have you considered a new girlfriend?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi all, so after a few weeks riding it I think I'm running it too rich - the exhaust pops a lot and when I twist full throttle the motorcycle goes normal, fail/weak in the middle and then goes back again to full speed...

Do you guys think that is the problem? too rich? or its something else? Dirty carbs?

My plan for the winter is to add the 719 forged piston kit from Eagle Mike - is that okay to mess with the jets right now?

Let me know what your guys' thoughts are! Thank you so much for the help!

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
I'll suggest that your running issue may be two-fold.

#1,
The KLR carb is of Constant Vacuum design, also called Constant Velocity design. The Exposed air filter has lowered the overall operating Vacuum thru the carb throat and the slide spring and the vacuum hole in the bottom of the slide were not designed to operate at this much lower level of vacuum. You may have to convert to a common slide valve carb to properly calibrate and eliminate the issue.

#2,
The mid-range needle fuel mixture will be leaner due to the easier air flow thru the exposed air filter. Are you using a KLX650 adjustable needle or other adjustable needle?

#3,
Trailing throttle After-fire popping in the exhaust can be a sign of a Bad gasket at the cylinder head / exhaust pipe manifold. Or possible a pin-hole in the little enrichener diaphragm on the LH side of the carb. Also do you have the AIS air port Blocked Off properly/completely next to the spark plug on this 2014 engine?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haven't weighted the motorcycle yet but went from 60 miles per tank to 80 miles per tank in the city.
Now gonna start selling the parts I took off it :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts