Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to this forum and i need some advice.

I bought my first bike KLR 650 08. I wanted to do my own maintenance. I changed oil and everthing went great unitl i striped out the oil plug. I had a heli-coil placed, by a mechanic not familar to bike mechanics, but does many spark plug repairs. He put it in on an angle. when tightened there is a gap about 2mm in length between the plug and the washer. (the washer is flush to the case but the bolt since it's on a angle never flushes to the washer) I'm leaking a couple cc's , maybe more when running hot. The bike shop refuses to put another heli-coil or tap new thread. Is there any way i can use a different washer perhaps brass or nylon that will compress and releive the gap... or any sealant i can use.

Thank you for any advice you have!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Not a good situation but a good machinest may be able to grind the high side down enough to allow the crimp ring to sit flush again. This is a repair that requires finding a qualified person with equipment to do the proceedure without removing the engine and splitting the case.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Agreed. In the mean time, wrap your bolt in teflon plumbers tape. The high heat kind. Any hardware store should have it. I stripped my bolt, too, and it is tapped out, but I still use it every time or I get a bit of seap. Just wrap around the part that goes in the threads, but be careful about getting any tape past the end of the drain threads.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fiber or Rubber Washers

Or, you can go to a hardware store, Lowe's, Home Depot and purchase some fiber and/or rubber washers with an inside diameter that is the same as the diameter of the threaded part of the oil drain plug. Use quite a few to make a thickness so that the gap between the oil pan and the oil drain bolt/plug is completely filled. This will work until you can arrange a proper repair.:character00286:

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I would try a fiber or rubber washer before I hauled out the wallet and cleaned out the Benjamins.

And please add a little to your profile, like a general location. Marine shops have a wealth of goodies for sealing that dry landers never need. My first choices would be a Caterpillar Dealer or a John Deere Dealer. Both have tremendous inventories of O-rings and washers. And their parts people are pro's. They can adapt. Bring your plug with you and explain what you need to achieve. Pictures are worth a thousand words, and a good parts man ain't all that chatty.

This isn't the first time somebody got off a tad on a re-tap or a helicoil. There's a bike running around here that has been using a leather washer on the oil plug for about 6 years cuz somebody was in a hurry and kinda messed up..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts