Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Need some feed back. Tried to remove alum bolt that holds front axle(2 on each side) One on left side stripped out, tried to drill it out and install a easy out but low and behold the easy out broke also. I intend on cutting down the slot with a hack saw, then the head of the bolt with the easy out should fall out. This will give me a chance try a new easy out to the threaded part of the bolt. Its either that or take the forks off to change the front tire, what a hassel for a poorly designed, and some asshole who went crazy with the wench when putting this machine together.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Where there is a will there's a way. It sounds like you'll get it done. While you're at it check the steering bearings for play by pulling forward and back on your forks. You might as well be sure that the same butt munch who overtightened the allen bolt didn't fail to tighten down your steering head components.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I've found a set of screw extractors are a good thing to have in the tool box.. They're designed to be used when you break off a screw head. Drill a hole through the screw and then tap the extractor into the hole and turn the screw out..
I'd think it would work just as well extracting an EZ Out, too..

Take your time and think the repair through, and you'll do fine!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've found a set of screw extractors are a good thing to have in the tool box.. They're designed to be used when you break off a screw head. Drill a hole through the screw and then tap the extractor into the hole and turn the screw out..
I'd think it would work just as well extracting an EZ Out, too..

Take your time and think the repair through, and you'll do fine!!
EZ outs are GLASS HARD. You won't be drilling one out.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
You don't want to tap on an Easy-out, the are very hard and break easily. If you get a chunk of it stuck in the hole you drilled, you'll have a battle on your hands getting it out. I found a product called Drill-out that works better than Easy-outs. It has a reverse drill head with a tapered collet with reverse threads. You drill into the bolt then turn the collet down to contact the hole and continue to drill. The collet gets a great bite on the bolt and the power of the drill turns it out.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
EZ outs are GLASS HARD. You won't be drilling one out.
I didn't mean to drill it. I meant for you to use the screw extractor to turn it back out.

If you read my post, my drilling was about drilling broken screws, not the EZout.

The last time I needed to get an EZout removed, I broke it into small pcs. with a chisel and pulled the part out with a needle nose and a magnet... Took a while, but it all came out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts