Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two weeks away, I came back today for a ride, but no go.

When turning "On," the headlight and dash lights come on as bright as ever, but pushing the starter button, nothing happens. No clicking noise or attempted starts — it is just silent. It almost seems like a wire or cord got disconnected or something.

Aside from the battery being fairly new, it was also kept on a trickle charger over the last two weeks, showing a good charge.

Thoughts, questions, snide remarks?

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
Check, check (side stand up and clutch in), and check
You don't mention checking the KILL Switch on the RH control pod. Down for ON.
Trip it back & forth a couple of times.

Maybe let out the clutch lever being as you ought to be in Neutral. I've seen some oddities. Funky switches.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't mention checking the KILL Switch on the RH control pod. Down for ON.
Trip it back & forth a couple of times.

Maybe let out the clutch lever being as you ought to be in Neutral. I've seen some oddities. Funky switches.
Yep, done all that—bummer… I guess I’ll pull the starter relay and test the flow? Can those go bad all at once with no notice?

·
Registered
252 Posts
perhaps electrical to the starter got vibrated, poor connection, needs a wiggle / tightening. Not sure if there is a fuze in addition to the relay you mention. try taking a decent sized screwdriver and give the starter housing a light / moderate whack in various locations. dont dent anything, then see if you get a click or better (back in the day . . . )

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: the bike will turn over and start if I hotwire it (used a pair of pliers to connect the two screws on the starter relay unit). Being an electrical idiot, I thought this might be important to add, but don't know if it's significant, much less what it would signify, if so.

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
I guess I’ll pull the starter relay and test the flow? Can those go bad all at once with no notice?
The low amp starter Button relay in the front fairing (left side of headlight as seated) seems to have more failures than the High amp relay near the carb.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The low amp starter Button relay in the front fairing (left side of headlight as seated) seems to have more failures than the High amp relay near the carb.
Thanks PD—would the fact that it will turn over when I connect the two leads on the starter relay (under the petcock) with a pair of pliers indicate that perhaps the High amp relay is the culprit?

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
No, it means that the battery & the Starter Motor are functional.
The low amp relay in the fairing should have a 'tiny' click when the start button is touched, even if the High Amp relay has No click.

·
Registered
08 klr 685 30000 odo
10 Posts
After two weeks away, I came back today for a ride, but no go.

When turning "On," the headlight and dash lights come on as bright as ever, but pushing the starter button, nothing happens. No clicking noise or attempted starts — it is just silent. It almost seems like a wire or cord got disconnected or something.

Aside from the battery being fairly new, it was also kept on a trickle charger over the last two weeks, showing a good charge.

Thoughts, questions, snide remarks?

Ima say it’s one of the safety switches gone awol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, it means that the battery & the Starter Motor are functional.
The low amp relay in the fairing should have a 'tiny' click when the start button is touched, even if the High Amp relay has No click.
Yes, I do hear a faint click in low amp relay, although it's somewhat inconsistent. You say it "should have a...click"—do you mean if its functioning correctly? Or is that an indication that it's not functioning correctly?

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
With the starter button 'engaged' you need to test for voltage Input of the small Black wire going Into the high amp relay, from the low amp relay.
If you have No voltage going Into the hi amp relay thru the small Black wire, the low amp relay is probably BAD internally.
If you Do have voltage from the low amp relay to the high amp relay, the High amp relay is probably BAD internally.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, @pdwestman, et al, so I actually ended up replacing both relays (the starter relay and starter circuit relay). Now the relay underneath the dash/headlight-adjacent will click & tick audibly, and eventually, though inconsistently, send power to the starter and it will start up. But it is inconsistent and sometimes will have to hold the starter button for several seconds (with the relay ticking) before it will actually fire up.

Given that the relay is not the problem (presumably, since it is new), what would you think as next steps? As someone who's got a super-amateur understanding of electronics, is this still something in my wheelhouse, or better to just bring it in?

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,568 Posts
Well, so far, you’ve “thrown parts at the problem.” Since both relays are new, I’ll conditionally assume they are good. That pushes the troubleshooting back to the kickstand switch, clutch switch, neutral switch, and start button. Use a volt-ohm meter to check that those work consistently.

Many of us have bypassed the kickstand switch because it is a common failure point.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I'm not sure if that's quite accurate—replacing the starter circuit relay definitely made a difference. It will actually click and start the bike now, whereas before there was nothing but dead silence. Now, the remaining problem is that the new part still seems to be a bit "buggy"—will still work and will usually start, eventually, but you'll get a couple clicks from it before it will send power to the starter unit.

My guess might be that the harness wires that lead to the starter circuit relay may not be as solid as they ought to be? But being able to test that for sure, much less solve the problem once its diagnosed is what makes me think perhaps;m out of my depth.

Replacing the starter circuit relay and actually getting results (though not perfect results) indicates to me that the issue is related to that harness and part of the bike.

·
Registered
2022 KLR adventure abs w/12v and usb
91 Posts
Well, I'm not sure if that's quite accurate—replacing the starter circuit relay definitely made a difference. It will actually click and start the bike now, whereas before there was nothing but dead silence. Now, the remaining problem is that the new part still seems to be a bit "buggy"—will still work and will usually start, eventually, but you'll get a couple clicks from it before it will send power to the starter unit.

My guess might be that the harness wires that lead to the starter circuit relay may not be as solid as they ought to be? But being able to test that for sure, much less solve the problem once its diagnosed is what makes me think perhaps;m out of my depth.

Replacing the starter circuit relay and actually getting results (though not perfect results) indicates to me that the issue is related to that harness and part of the bike.
I read this same thing in another post but have no personal experience with this problem. I think what he was telling you is ALL the saftey switches need to work in order for the bike to start. If you get a click and no start then one or more of the other saftey devices is preventing an unsafe start. If your in gear it wont start, if the bike THINKS your in gear it still wont start. Same with the clutch and kickstand. All 3 need to work at the same time, like a combination lock, one wrong switch and your not going to start. Its easier to test a switch than it is to replace or ohm out an entire wire harness, trust me.

·
Registered
08 klr 685 30000 odo
10 Posts

a distinct possibility (in my mind) is a bad ground in that geographical area. You replace pieces and it acts differently but not as designed and expected. The bad spot is close. Maybe. Hey it could happen

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
Now the relay underneath the dash/headlight-adjacent will click & tick audibly,
Are you saying that the new relay is making a Repetitive Clicking while simply holding the starter button engaged?
If so you probably have a BAD BATTERY!

Hold the volt meter probes on the battery terminals as you engage the starter button. Tells us how Low its voltage drops.

GUY's, if any of the safety switches are bad or ACTIVATED the starter BUTTON is Defeated. Therefore the starter button would not energize the low amp relay & make a click!!!

I'll ask exactly what year is this bike, how many miles are on it, how long have you owned it?

And if you only used a screw-driver on the battery terminal bolts?
Put a socket on them and make them just a touch tighter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts