Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 KLR 650 with 40,000 kms
I have a no electrical power after pressing the starter switch, just a light click then shorts out. I did pull apart the starter relay fuse 20 Amp and was fine put it back together then I had power once more. Same thing happened once more. looking for suggestions in this fine community to solve this.

* Note while riding twice the power would cut out entirely for a brief blip or 2 then be fine. Also have had heard an electrical sizzle when pressing the starter switch, stopped then it started after trying again. Sounds like I have a short somewhere.

·
Administrator
3,939 Posts
Has the wiring harness recall been carried out on your bike?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has the wiring harness recall been carried out on your bike?
No, I have tried to run my VIN with the Kawasaki.ca website but it found my VIN invalid reading it from my insurance docs. The dealer has not called me back as they were
Going to run my VIN. I will have to wait till Tuesday now. Is the recall open to all KLR’s for 2008?
Thank you for the reply

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
I'll suggest that you either have a failing Battery or failing starter button circuit Relay. Not the High amp relay.

If the lights 'black-out' when/after touching the starter button, I'll suggest Battery or loose battery terminals!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your input, battery is new as of Nov 2020. I am going to check battery connections and terminal conditions.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Do you own a volt meter? Volt/Ohm/Amp meter? Read the voltage before & as you engage the starter button.
I'll bet that the battery voltage drops like a rock!

• Love
Reactions: ymracing

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,408 Posts
I’ll second PDW’s reply about loose battery terminals. The sizzling you heard is sparking at a loose connection. Check the battery terminals, then the ground cable connection to the ground point at the starter, and then check the heavy positive cable connection to the high current relay and thence to the starter. Good idea to clean and grease them while you’re at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It’s how it goes with everything, you just need to start with the basics. in saying this the positive battery was a half turn loose but did not feel loose in my hand. Been running normal since so thank you all for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts