Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased some pannier racks for new klr (Barret exhaust - Aus brand). One end attached to top bolt of passenger foot peg on each side and other attached to bolt holding handle on rear rack. I managed to snap the end off the Allen key and it is stuck in the bolt head. It's loose but won't come out. Must be slightly burred from trying to undo bolt. Has anyone done this. How do I get the Allen key head out?
New klr bought in Sydney 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
Center punch it. Drill trough broken tool. Oil while drilling to cool bit. Insert fine thread screw in hole. Work screw back and forth to cut threads in hole using WD40. After threads are cut, tighten screw to push bolt out using original bolt as stop for screw. Tap on broken tool with a hammer while pulling out as needed. Buy better tool. :laugh3:

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
One should never use the 'Ball End' of an allen wrench for loosening or tightening for Exactly this reason. You probably will Not be Able to drill the hard steel allen ball.

You may be able to drill an 1/8 inch or even smaller hole thru the bolt shank from the back side, then use a pin punch to drive the ball back out.

You may be able to use a cold chisel & hammer to catch the edge of the bolt head & jar it loose, then tap, tap, tap it around.

Or find a highly skilled welder to weld another bolt shank to the head of the existing bolt.

A buddy of mine purchased a used KLR in 2003. It had an allen ball broken off in the brake pedal bracket. Every so often we would use a magnet to attempt to pull & wiggle the allen ball out. We figured eventually road vibes & engine vibes would rub the burr down just enough that it would either fall out or the magnet would extract it.

The magnet finally pulled it out, this Spring!
Wishing you 'Good Luck'.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts