Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 KL600 b1. It has been trouble free form many years, however, yesterday I was going to ride it. After I started it it did not want to shift into first gear. It did shift into second gear. It is now stuck in second gear. It will not shift into any other gear. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
8,289 Posts
Maico88-

Is the ger shift lever good and tight on the shaft?

Tom

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I watched the video, and I will pull the side cover this week. Will post the results.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel like an idiot. Should have used Occam's Razor. Tom you were right. The solid feel that the gearshift lever had was caused by it hitting the frame. Repositioned the gearshift lever and tightened it. Problem solved. Since I had already removed the clutch cover, I simply took the opportunity to clean the screen. Once again, thanks for the help. This is a great forum.

·
Administrator
8,289 Posts
Yeah, the gear shift levers tend to loosen up, especially when they are well used as a 40 year old bike is bound to be.

If it was hitting the case or frame then it probably was loose enough to skip a few splines. That may have chewed up the splines on the lever, which are softer than those on the shaft.

Keep an eye on it; Moose and IMS make decent replacements if one is needed.

Tom

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, close examination did reveal that a new shift lever is in order. Will get one ordered today. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
If it was hitting the case or frame then it probably was loose enough to skip a few splines.

Keep an eye on it; Moose and IMS make decent replacements if one is needed.

Tom
Excuse me Tom, but, I've never seen a gear shifter pedal or kickstart pedal that could slip a 'few splines', and continue to sort of function, at ALL.

The normal clearance between the KLR650 gear pedal and the frame is 'minimal', to say the least. Any looseness of the splines causes wear. Wear causes problems. .002 inch of Wear is excalibrated by 3 to 5 inches at the pedal shank or tip.

But I read, he got the 'point'.

·
Administrator
8,289 Posts
The bolt can come loose, which opens up the 'clamp' on the gear shift lever. Through repeated use the tips of the splines on the lever get worn off and it slips.

At that point, the lever is pretty much toast, but if you tighten up the clamp the tips of the spines on the shaft will engage the roots of the splines on the lever well enough to work.

It'll eventually go bad, though. And pretty quickly, which is why I said 'Keep an eye on it' and recommended looking at a replacement.

I had a kick starter on an Ossa Pioneer that had about half the splines stripped out of the lever. Most of the time I could make it work. The rest of the time it hurt. Hurt bad.

I check the tightness of the gear shift lever at every oil change, right after doing the balancer tension adjustment.

Tom

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bolt can come loose, which opens up the 'clamp' on the gear shift lever. Through repeated use the tips of the splines on the lever get worn off and it slips.

At that point, the lever is pretty much toast, but if you tighten up the clamp the tips of the spines on the shaft will engage the roots of the splines on the lever well enough to work.

It'll eventually go bad, though. And pretty quickly, which is why I said 'Keep an eye on it' and recommended looking at a replacement.

I had a kick starter on an Ossa Pioneer that had about half the splines stripped out of the lever. Most of the time I could make it work. The rest of the time it hurt. Hurt bad.

I check the tightness of the gear shift lever at every oil change, right after doing the balancer tension adjustment.

Tom
This is a perfect description of what happened in my case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts