Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off thank you all for the help in deciding which bike to buy, this forum had a huge influence. I ended up with a 2008 with just shy of 7000 miles.

As I start the process of dumping money into making this my "dream" bike i was trying to figure out the sub frame upgrade.

The previous owner I did not met and did not know if this upgrade had been done yet. He said his son might have done it.

The question is how do I tell if this has been done or not on my bike?

Thanks in advance for any help.
New Guy

·
Registered
175 Posts
The upgraded bolts I put on my KLR were blue, very obvious when looking at the ends. If they're not blue, the only other way I'd know is that the long bolt (versus the two smaller side bolts) will have a fewer threads, IRCC....

I was disappointed that the upgrade kit I installed (I don't believe that it was from EagleMike) did not hold up. One of the side bolts broke at some point. No other damage was done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Upgrade bolts are great, but if you plan on getting the SW-Motech crashbars that bolt to the upper subframe location you will need to order a high grade
7 1/2" cap head bolt to mount the bars . Just from experience and wht the previous owner didn't tell me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input!
I just put on a Happy Trails set up - skid plate, radiator guard, and NERF bars.

So I should not have to deal with the SW bolt issue.

The bolt don't look like anything was done so I'm going to replace them just to be on the safe side.

I'll put up photos when I'm done.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Upgrade bolts are great, but if you plan on getting the SW-Motech crashbars that bolt to the upper subframe location you will need to order a high grade
7 1/2" cap head bolt to mount the bars . Just from experience and wht the previous owner didn't tell me.
I am very curious about this 7 1/2" bolt. I just rec the Motech crash bars and wondering if I need something extra? You don't recommend using the bolt provided? Can I purchase the higher grade bolt from the hardware store?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The previous owner had removed the 2 stock bolts and then drilled out the threaded pieces in the tubes to put 1 single long higher grade long bolt through both sides. Because the SW bars add a little length to that area I had to order a long bolt, M10 7 1/2" cap head bolt from Fastenal.

If you are in Colorado I have a spare bolt and nut you are welcome to.
I can show you how to do it to possibly.

You can get all your bolts from Fastenal if you wanted to upgrade them with higher grades. They have locations all over or can ship to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts