Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please provide me the specific sizes of the bolts? What do Iask for at the hardware store?
Thanks much

·
Registered
26 Posts
You might have problems finding them at a hardware store as they are fine thread and most places like ACE, Lowes and Home Depot only carry course. I did find the lower bolts at Lowes, they had them in a 1.25mm pitch but nobody had fine thread 10mm bolts so I just ordered some from Bolt Depot and got a couple of extras to take with me on trips.

Top bolts are 10mm x 1.25mm x 30mm

Bottom bolts are 8mm x 1.25mm x 25mm

You want a hardness of 12.9

Check your manual for proper torque. I believe the top bolts are 33 ft/lbs and the bottoms are 18 ft/lbs. Use a medium thread locker. I like Vibra-Tite gel. It breaks free at 25 in/lbs vs Loctite which breaks free at around 10 in/lbs.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might have problems finding them at a hardware store as they are fine thread and most places like ACE, Lowes and Home Depot only carry course. I did find the lower bolts at Lowes, they had them in a 1.25mm pitch but nobody had fine thread 10mm bolts so I just ordered some from Bolt Depot and got a couple of extras to take with me on trips.

Top bolts are 10mm x 1.25mm x 30mm

Bottom bolts are 8mm x 1.25mm x 25mm

You want a hardness of 12.9

Check your manual for proper torque. I believe the top bolts are 33 ft/lbs and the bottoms are 18 ft/lbs. Use a medium thread locker. I like Vibra-Tite gel. It breaks free at 25 in/lbs vs Loctite which breaks free at around 10 in/lbs.
Thanks for the info.. Got all 4 at my local hardware store for $6.09 out the door. Probably didn't need them as in my experience, bolts don't just snap unless they are loose as that is when they become stressed, but for 6 bucks I figured, what the hell. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It doesn't hurt. I know a guy who just got a KLR and went out to West Texas for his first trip. He broke or lost a subframe bolt and broke off the foot peg bolts. First thing I did when I got my KLR was upgrade the foot peg bolts to 12.9. It's cheap insurance for sure and I'm happy to hear that your local hardware store is better stocked than the three I have around here but Bolt Depot had excellent prices and you can pick up all four for about two bucks which is why I just bought some extras to take with me. If one breaks or falls out I have a spare of if I run into a fellow KLR rider down on his or her luck I'll be able to help em out.

Happy riding!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts