Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Heard this kind of chattering or clicking noise coming from my Klr 2013 recently. I haven’t had the bike long, nor do I know much about bikes so I’m not sure if I’m making mountains out of molehills but I thought I would post here. Is this noise normal?In need of valve adjustment? Bike only has 10k on it.

The noise:
Klr 2013 Engine Noise

Thanks for your help,

Will

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
138 Posts
Does it change along with rpm? Check exhaust heat shield bolts first before we worry about more serious engine stuff. Along with checking fasteners/bolts on skid plate, crash bars, etc

Reactions: ElGringoDescalzo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it change along with rpm? Check exhaust heat shield bolts first before we worry about more serious engine stuff. Along with checking fasteners/bolts on skid plate, crash bars, etc
It seems it gets louder as the engine revs but hard for me to tell how much since the exhaust gets louder with it. Still not a super loud noise though. I can’t find any loose bolts :unsure:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I hope it's not the case, but it sound like a connecting rod bearing starting to fail. Sound like my bike at it's early stage of self destruction.

After checking bolts and nuts, if the noise is still present do the following steps:

Check oil level, see if it's low.
Check if doohickey bolt is loose. Refer to instruction video on youtube how to adjust, and torque.
Inspect oil filter to see amount of metal shavings.
If you give throttle, you will hear the noise getting louder and changing with RPM. Post a video.
Cruising in third gear and lighly loading the engine you can hear a slapping sound. It disappear at heavy throttle.

Checking valve is a good idea, you can also inspect camshaft bearings. At the same time if you remove the spark plug you can test if there is a problem with the connecting rod bearing. You turn the engine until the piston is at mid distance, descending. You then push on it with a screwdriver. If there is slack you will feel it.

You can also ask your local kawasaki dealer for an opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Heard this kind of chattering or clicking noise coming from my Klr 2013 recently.
I don't hear anything that scares me, from afar.

Is this noise normal?
Many engines in the same family will have slightly different noises.
Find a few KLR riders in your area and ask to listen to theirs, starting at the tail pipe and working forward. Without suggesting anything, ask them to listen to yours.

I hope it's not the case, but it sound like a connecting rod bearing starting to fail.
That is a Very Rare failure. And I don't hear anything to suggest that is even a remote possibility on the supplied video.

Could be clutch plates rattling.
Oil wet clutches rarely make any noise, much less an actual rattle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I’d be curious to hear it from the left side where the cam/balancer chain is. Otherwise sounds fairly normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts