Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,039 Posts
If a person uses a 60 - 130 watt headlight bulb with the appropriate wire terminals & a length of wire, one can plug into the appropriate wire terminals of the RED multi-prong connector of the starter relay on a Gen 2 KLR and have a NEVER BURN-OUT fuse substitute. Rather than using 2 dozen fuses chasing your tail.

The bulb will glow barely, dimly, or full Bright depending upon the amount of current flowing thru it, but it will never burnout.

I'll suggest that you should check the wires between the sharp edge of the fuel tank and the radiator coolant recovery mounting bracket on the RH front side, for damage caused by a slightly bent bracket.
I move that wire bundle to Above & Ahead of that bracket, by unbolting the bracket. (The oem routing was a STUPID routing by Kawasaki, which should have be attended to during the 2009 recall about wiring!)

·
Premium Member
2014.5 KLR650
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Thanks, I did armour those wires, but I’ll try unbolting that bracket

·
Premium Member
2014.5 KLR650
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Nice guy from the Toronto Chapter of the ADV forum came by and spent most of the afternoon chasing the problem. Turned out to be the aftermarket headlight the PO installed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2014.5 KLR650, 10,000 miles, daily rider been running great, started normally and ran fine for 4 blocks then cut out cold, no sputter, just quit.
No response to the starter button, no lights, no horn.
Pushed it home. Tried bump start on a little downhill ... nope.
Battery checks fine, fuses check fine, gas in the tank. But still no go.
Acts just like the main fuse is blown but it looks fine, it’s a modern blade type fuse.
Any thoughts on where to look ??
Hi Rat
My 88 did exactly that. Turned out to be corrosion in the fuse WIRES. If you have a test light or multi meter check from your battery posts 12.5 volts, then wires on the battery terminals, then BOTH sides of the fuses. I have been caught with fuses that looked ok but had hairline crack or gray corrosion on the blades. Keep checking from the battery to see where the power stops. Good luck. Keep it simple

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
61 Posts
Nice guy from the Toronto Chapter of the ADV forum came by and spent most of the afternoon chasing the problem. Turned out to be the aftermarket headlight the PO installed.
Happy to hear, was fun reading through and waiting to see what turned out to be the issue. Cheers to the helpful forum member.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had that happen to me and it was the battery. Sudden battery failure. Stopped the bike to check a geocache and it wouldn’t restart.
I used to be an auto club mechanic and I’ve had thousands of “open circuit batteries”. They will die suddenly or just get weaker by the month. DO NOT JUMP START AND DRIVE AS VOLTAGE CAN SPIKE UP TO 100 volts.

·
Premium Member
2014.5 KLR650
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Reassembled the bike today ... just put the headlight shell on for appearances ... started and ran just fine for a little 1/2 hour around the 'hood' ... so we're good now ... just need to figure out a new headlight arrangement and we’re back in business ...

61 - 68 of 68 Posts