Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put a Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust onto my 2012 KLR and quite honestly, the exhaust is just too loud for me. That said, I'm wanting to enhance the sound of my KLR but do so in a quieter package. Does anyone have recommendations on quiet yet throaty exhaust?

Also, I just attended an adventure training clinic on my KLR and it's apparent I need to get some hand guards. If you have any recommendations on hand guards to consider, please post them up. Thanks a ton!!

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Best KLR exhaust: LeoVince X3.....around 94db and doesn't require repacking. Best on a budget: LEXX with the optional (sold separately) trail insert = 94db. Runner up: FMF Q4, light, one pce design, 96db.

I have the FMF on one bike and the LV on the other and the LV is a couple lbs heavier and a bit more of a PITA to install but it is noticably quieter.

Most aftermarket KLR silencers are WAY too loud, with some breaking 100db! I think the loudest was 103db.....at that sound level you can hang with the straight piped Harley crowd!

Cheers,
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
...and handguards. There are tons of choices out there. Personally I'd also take the opportunity to replace the stock bars if you haven't already seeing as how they have the strength of partially cooked pasta!

Bar dimensions are a personal thing, but the stockers have far too much pullback for me. ....and the Gen2 bars are ridiculously wide as well. I run Renthal RC-Hi's on both my KLR's. I've also found the combination of aluminum bars, handguards and thicker sportbike grips to do a great job lessening vibrations.

There are dozens of brands of handguards. I prefer the better brands as they usually have superior mounting hardware; Fastway, Acerbis, Highway Dirtbikes, etc. The cheaper Emgo and Maier ones are OK but like most things, you get what you pay for. fitment may require some tweeking depending.

Dave

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Good info Dave. Does anyone have the dimensions of the stock handlebars?? I've been riding with them for so long I just kinda am used to them. I would like a little more handgrip area. HAd a set of Pro-Taper bars on another KLR I owned that I thought were okay too.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Gen1 stock bar dimensions here;

KLR650 FAQ

and I don't have the exact dimensions for the Gen2 but I have confirmed that they are wider than the Gen1 units (plus the added bar end weights). I'll see if I can dig up the exact width.

I find that people often get used to whatever is on their bike and once they are, that's the "normal" feel and preference....but if you ride offroad much, a straighter, narrower bar is better for ultimate control. The only issue with a dual sport is to make sure there is still enough "real estate" for the switches, perches, etc.

Dave

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Found it, Gen2 bar dimensions;

My measurements of my stock bars for comparison:
Width = 844.6 Height = 142.9 Rise = 98.4 Clamp Area = 127.0 Sweep = 66.7 Control Area = 215.9

Dave

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Tusk handguards (Rocky Mountain ATV/MC) fit well, proven crashworthy in my experience, and are most affordable.

I bought Tusk handguards with "spoilers; the latter about $ 12 a pair if replacement from road rash is needed.

Performance gains with even loud exhausts on essentially stock engines are miniscule and uneven, producing less power than stock exhaust in some rpm regimes (according to dynamometer charts I have seen).

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Performance gains with even loud exhausts on essentially stock engines are miniscule and uneven, producing less power than stock exhaust in some rpm regimes (according to dynamometer charts I have seen).
I agree as far as stock engines go, mainly because the intake is a far bigger restriction than the exhaust is. With the usual mods (KLX jet kit, snorkle-ectomy and L-mod or equivalent) you may expect a modest boost from a good silencer (1-3hp) I take claims beyond that with a very large grain of salt....one supplier claims 6hp which is impossible from a silencer alone IMO. It makes sense to me that the better the engine is running and the more power it's producing the more a flow increase would be a benefit so a ported, cammed 685 will probably get more power yet from a silencer swap.
I also am of the opinion that the stock Gen2 head pipe flows very well and the aftermarket header manufacturer's claims of increased performance are equally dubious.

Regardless of whether you get .5hp or 3 hp from a silencer swap, I would suggest that it is a very poor "bang for the buck" proposal and you'd almost always be better off spending the money on something that makes a larger functional difference in the way the bike rides.....like suspension and/or brakes.

I have aftermarket silencers on my bikes because of the weight loss (up to 5 lbs up high), the looks and what I consider to be a better exhaust note.....not because I expected a noticeable or measurable power increase. I don't like loud and I think that riding loud bikes offroad hurts the hobby hence my preference for the relatively quiet LV X3.

That all said, nobody NEEDS to change out the stock silencer on a KLR.

2 pennies,
Dave

·
Registered
241 Posts
DPelletier

I think you hit the nail right on the head.
I changed my exhaust to lexx for the "note". My butt dyno didn't notice a difference in power and i wasn't expecting it. Still quiet without the stock tin can sound.

However I do love to remove the core and get my freak-on in town pissing off all the pot smoking hippies that live here... lol

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts