Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with this can? If so how was it for sound and did it help with performance any? Thanks for any info.

Steve E...........

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Steve -

It's loud as hell and doesn't do much for the performance.

When I had it tuned for the L-Mod, KLX needle, and the snorkle out with an AFR of about 13.5:1 it was making about 98 dB.

It was embarassingly loud. A friend who was following me on I5 said it sounded really good (somewhat tongue-in-cheek). He was inside his truck about a quarter mile behind me....

Tom

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got it on mine, I like it. It is loud especially at 4-5k+
Can't say anything for performance since I bought it with the can IDS2 on bike and never experienced stock muffler.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I had the "quiet series". It wasn't. Even with the minimum number of disc's it was noisy. To the point that my neighbors complained about it waking them up in the morning. There werent any performance gains that I could tell. I put the stock exhaust back on and sold the can. -Tom.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2007 with the IDS2 and rejeted the carb for the pipe. I ride with two 2008's and another 2007 KLR's. It is louder than stock but I can run away from my riding buddies at will.
Esten Spears

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 06 came with the ST IDS2 on it with 15 or so discs in it and I took them out except 6 and it did seem to quiet it some, now I think I can live with it for now.

Steve E........

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this pipe on a 2008 KLR I bought to ride around for a week on a trip instead of renting one. It was so loud that if I didn't have my ear plugs in just right, I couldn't stand it. Whenever I was in a town I felt I was helping to give pedestrians and people in cars a reason to dislike motorcyclists.

Had to buy a stock pipe from someone here on the forum to get the bike sold.

I will admit that with the pipe and re-jetting it had better acceleration than stock. I ride a stock 2009 now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts