Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my 2006 KLR.
When I pull that $1000 trigger...any recommendations for good tires? Especially ones to fit the rear?
Track days and some spirited riding to ensue...I hope.

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
Track day on a KLR? Go-cart track or full sized? I think that I would be looking at Michelin tires.
Anakee Adventure's come in KLR sizes. Or a Pilot Street on the rear.

· Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special--Flatland Flyer--
136 Posts
michelin road 5 140/70r/17 just put one on my gen 1 commuter tired of low miles bias ply tires

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Track day on a KLR? Go-cart track or full sized? I think that I would be looking at Michelin tires.
Anakee Adventure's come in KLR sizes. Or a Pilot Street on the rear.
I raced Yamaha XS650's, Honda CB750's back in the day...on rubber that is street stuff now.
I did graduate to Yamaha FZR, Ducati 900, 851 and 1000. Quit racing @ 65...too old and too fat...
I am regressing. Took the KLR and my '99 SuperHawk to Black Hawk Farms for a track day in May. Ran Shinko TrailMaster on the KLR, Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa with tire warmers on the SuperHawk. Had way more fun on the KLR. The SuperHawk is up for sale, proceeds to fund SuperMoto wheels and tires on the KLR.
The question always is..."which would you rather do, ride a fast bike slow, or a slow bike fast?"
YMMV

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
The question always is..."which would you rather do, ride a fast bike slow, or a slow bike fast?"
YMMV
With over 89,000 miles on my 1987, do I need to answer that question?

I envy your location to tracks! 6-12 KLR's on one track sounds like a real 'hoot' to me. I hope that you have like minded riders with dual-sport bikes near you, willing to test their skills also?

· Registered
2012 KLR 650
5 Posts
For my 2006 KLR.
When I pull that $1000 trigger...any recommendations for good tires? Especially ones to fit the rear?
Track days and some spirited riding to ensue...I hope.
Wish I could make a recommendation, I am having a hard time trying to find a rear that fits the Warp9 tire I have. 2012 KLR, with the 17" Warp9 rear. Bought some Shinko705s but they did not clear the swing arm gusset. Don't want to waste more money on the wheels if they aren't going to fit.

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wish I could make a recommendation, I am having a hard time trying to find a rear that fits the Warp9 tire I have. 2012 KLR, with the 17" Warp9 rear. Bought some Shinko705s but they did not clear the swing arm gusset. Don't want to waste more money on the wheels if they aren't going to fit.
That's kinda strange. I have the street Diablo Rosso on my 17" Warp 9 rear. It has more than 1.5" clearance. I wouldn't think the 705's were that much taller.

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
Bought some Shinko705s but they did not clear the swing arm gusset. Don't want to waste more money on the wheels if they aren't going to fit.
What exact tire size did you purchase in the rear Shinko E705? Have you checked your sprocket sizes yet?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts