Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My KLR is five years old and from time to time I experience surging at highway speeds. Last week I took a two hour ride that ended up with continual, and heavy surging to extent I didn't know if she would get me home.

I gave her full choke to see if it was fuel starving. Nope. I opened up the fuel tank cap to see if there was a vacuum problem. Nope.

Over the years I've removed the tank, checked for debri in the lines and everything I could think of. I'm going to fiddle with her a bit more but it seems as though it's time to abandone my favorite bike. I hate to but I'm at wits end.

My other bit is a trusty old 1985 BMW that's very dependable. May have to go back to that.

I'd appreciate any assistance. I know KLR's are famous for surging and was wondering if anyone has found the magic cure.

Joe

·
Registered
269 Posts
try the petcock mod too. sounds stupid, but has solved a lot of fuel delivery problems. maybe check your main jet too while you have the carb apart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Fellows,

This is the craziest mal-function I've ever seen. In the past I thought it was due to heat because it only happened during those hot summer days but the weather is pleasantly cool. And what further makes no sence, if I'm crusing at fifty or sixty mph with surges, if I wick it up to eighty or more she smooth right out. Also there doesn't seem to be any problems at forty or slower.

Does anyone know if the later models still have this problem. Perhaps I could just buy another Carb.

Riding alone, across the southern Texas panhandle last year, and wondering if I'd make it across, I swore this was the last. It's a love hate relationship.

Ok, now the tank comes, the fuel system dismantled for the last time. Everyting about this bike is close to perfect for me. I don't know where I'll go from her. Perhaps a DR.

Joe

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Ummm....
Pics of the 85' BMW, please??

:)

My KLR did the same thing and it was the idle mixture screw. I went 3 turns out.. Never had an issue with it again, and that was 3-4 years ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Paper,

Thanks for the infor about the idle mixture screw. That's so easy and will be my first attempt. It makes sence this could solve the problem.

Are any of you guys like me, when a bike is acting up I can't enjoy the my ride. The mind can't disreguard the problem. When on a four or five day it's a compromise situation

I'll take a couple of snaps of my K-bike and forward them. I really like that bike and it's a dream on the long hall but is't a highway bike only. It would be hard for me to get away from the 21" front wheel of my KLR. Of all the bikes I've look at as a replacement, few of them are as road and off road ready.

My little bike cruses, sweet spot, at 80mph but in reality the GPS has me clocked out 69mph. That's fast enough for me but the speedo is a little off. I'm sure it's save me from speeding tickets.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Joe,

Check the vacuum line from the intake manifold to the petcock. This vacuum line breaks down and crimps at the intake manifold. The crimping causes vacuum loss which causes the petcock diaphram to not open all the way which limits the amount of gasoline getting to the carburetor. A new longer vacuum line routed over the top of the carburetor will not hurt. The rerouting prevents the vacuum line from crimping.

I eventually converted my petcock to manual and this helped a lot.

The 22 cent mod is a good solution for more than one reason. You don't have to use two #4 stainless steel washers though you might end up with both. Not all #4 SS washers are the same thickness. I have measured them from .023" to .036". Cary Aspy recommended not using more than .060". If you need .060" you need to look into the KLX needle or DynoJet needle mods. Radio Shack sells #4 stainless washers.

Sea-Foam: before you do anything add some Sea-Foam to a full tank of gasoline and run at least five gallons of the tank.

Air cleaner: have you cleaner and oiled your air cleaner? Don't over oil the filter.

Fuel line: check your fuel line. You might want to replace it. I recently replaced mine because it was breaking down inside.

Gas Tank Seal: I removed the seal from my gas tank which allows the tank to breath (vent).

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'll take a couple of snaps of my K-bike and forward them.
K bike? :confused: Communist!!:) (kidding, of course)

My second BMW was a 1985 K100RS.. I put almost 50K miles on it before trading it and my 1978 R100S off on a 1992 R100GS.. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but I miss both the RS and the S bikes.. The GS was a rear tire eater, and it was traded off for a R100RS less than a year later.:(

Anyway, looking forward to the photos!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks fellows,

I've made quiet a few changes to the bike. Unfortunately the weather here in Oklahoma has been dicey for the past few weeks. Should be on the road this coming weekend and will report back.

Joe

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have heard of replacing the pet cock with a KLX manual pet cock. Has any one done this and is it a standard KLX replacement? My KLR was surging but only at interstate speeds. I've run sea foam thru the tank and that has helped. I was going to order the hoses hust because they are 12 years old but if I can swap out the pet cock I will do that.
aa

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for ckecking. So far so good but this problem comes and goes. I'd better get a few more mile on before the trip across the desert. I'll be loading up July 1 for a two week trip. It's too late now to get a DR outfited.

I've had a couple of fellows who suggests a heat shield to protect the carb might help. Who knows. Except this is definantely a KLR problem and the manufacturer doesn't seem too helpful. Aside from that the bike is one of my favorites.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really know it sounds insane but check the kick stand. Mine had a stretched spring and it made the bike surge at speed because it would vibrate the bike enough to make the kickstand sag. This activated the kick stand safety switch which caused the bike to surge or even stall.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I really know it sounds insane but check the kick stand. Mine had a stretched spring and it made the bike surge at speed because it would vibrate the bike enough to make the kickstand sag. This activated the kick stand safety switch which caused the to surge or even stall.
intersting. havent heard that one before.
i would think about checking the jets in your carb. when i was having petcock problems, it would not run without the choke. that said, change that out too while u have the tank off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you have a standard exhaust pipe (muffler) thats where the problem is, I had the same problems, and did all the fuel, CDI, and carb stripping and testing....it wasnt any of those...its the baffle plates in the exhaust pipe silencer/muffler portion, they tend to "collapse" onto each other when you do long constant riding... the solution is easy and one needs a hammer and a length of 1/2 inch steel rod, probabley 3 feet long...and all you do is bang the rod into and down the exhaust pipe untill it stops on something hard, you can check the approximate "depth" by offering the rod up against the muffler section at the approximate angle of attack...it does not require any stripping of parts and is over and done in a couple of minutes...And your surging problem will be over...gauranteed...I have done it to all three KLR's in my family and every time a winner. Even to two friends KLR's which presented with the same symptoms, again every time a happy purring bike and smiling rider.

Try it and let me know.

Humpty Dumpty

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HD

That seems reasonable to me although I only have 15000 mile on her. I'm sure this will increase the noise level but that's a small price to pay.

I have a small trip this weekend, about three hundred miles, and will see what happens with the changes I've made so far. If this bike hickups on me after this ride, I'll get the hammer and tong to see if that works.

Thanks for all the posts fellows. I know it takes time and effort and it's appreciated over here.

Joe Crumley

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The problem continues.

Today I'll work on the muffler to see how that goes. Yesterday, I took a little ride across the state and all seem OK untill I reached 150 miles. Then I struggled for two hours making my way home. If I let her cool down, the problem goes away. Or if I put more cool gas in the tank I'm good to go.

With the gas cap loose, and the choke on, surging continues. Were not talking about little surges here. It's got to be something major like the muffler baffels. I'm about to think it might be an electrical problem.

Vacation is coming up in three weeks and it looks like another bike is in consideration. I've been riding for fifty two years and this is the worst ride I've had. I truly like everything about the bike except the motor.

Thanks fellow for all your help. I'll give her another week before finding another bike. My vacation depends on a bike. No bike to ride, I don't go. That's how stubborn I am. Like most of you, it takes lots of time for me to get a bike tricked out. The seat, bags, wind screen are first, followed by safety rear blinker lights, GPS, lowering kit, etc.

Now where's my steel pipe and the sledge hammer?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts