Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to richen the fuel / air mixture of my 2022 with the fuel injection or is this possible only with a digital module?

On deceleration, guessing at perhaps 3,000 RPM I get surging while trying to accelerate slightly. At one point, the bike feels as though I am giving it lots of throttle and then abruptly chopping the throttle completely when in fact, the throttle is being kept quite steady.

It only happens at a particular throttle setting and seemingly always at a particular RPM, but the effect is abruptly changing how the bike feels and how the front and back feels as weight is loaded forward and backward.

Is this the result of a lean condition? The bike is very new with perhaps 100 miles on the clock.

Thanks folks!

·
Administrator
9,388 Posts
There's no adjustment on the EFI to fix the AFR. There is a device coming from Power Commander that might be what you need/want.

Reactions: Torquey

·
Registered
12 Posts
I want to hear more people with this experience. I thought it was happening, but couldn't replicate. I notice idle surging at times also.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's no adjustment on the EFI to fix the AFR. There is a device coming from Power Commander that might be what you need/want.
Thank you very much Tom. I'm not even certain it is a lean condition, only guessing due to emissions. Again, very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
And I'm wondering how many of these 'in-motion' issues may trace to TOO tight of drive chain slack and bumps /dips in the roadway?

As to actual Idle Speed surging in a stationary vehicle, I wonder if it might eventually be traced to engine temperature fluctuations, caused by the lack of a coolant system radiator bypass causing/allowing hotter/colder readings to affect the ECU mapping?

Reactions: Torquey

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And I'm wondering how many of these 'in-motion' issues may trace to TOO tight of drive chain slack and bumps /dips in the roadway?

As to actual Idle Speed surging in a stationary vehicle, I wonder if it might eventually be traced to engine temperature fluctuations, caused by the lack of a coolant system radiator bypass allowing hotter/colder readings to affect the ECU mapping?
Westman, in my case, there is no idle surging. It happens on decel, while at relatively low RPMs and if the throttle is then increased even slightly, I often get a light switch like "on / off" situation. The road has no dip whatsoever, but I am very interested in the issue of too tight a chain which I intend to check. Thank you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a weird situation when I first got mine. just resting my hand on the throttle grip made the engine rev a tiny bit. I adjusted the throttle "slack" and it made a noticeable difference at idle and also felt a little more under control in lower throttle on/off scenarios. And pdwestman is right my chain sounded like this from the dealer ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
follow up. I dropped my 22 off at the dealer for my complaints of idle surge. Unable to replicate, Kawasaki reports that minor fluctuation of rpm is characteristic of the engine. I have it documented at my dealer anyway. Will see.

·
Registered
2022 Khaki base no abs w/ modified 2018 med tusk panniers & racks w/ modified 2018 crash bars
37 Posts
follow up. I dropped my 22 off at the dealer for my complaints of idle surge. Unable to replicate, Kawasaki reports that minor fluctuation of rpm is characteristic of the engine. I have it documented at my dealer anyway. Will see.
My gen 3 has 620mi & I've noticed that the clutch lever affects idle speed at idle. Like the bikes computer is pre-reving up for clutch engagement? I do not know bit I've definitely traced my idle revs fluctuating to my clutch lever position. A couple hundred rpms fluctuation I'm guessing? I DONT HAVE A TACH SO I CANT TELL YOU EXACTLY...😂 hey maybe I just broke the code as to why there's no tach from the factory!? Because Then we could actually SEE THE REVS JUMP! Maybe they tried but couldn't fix it so they said "scrap the tach"?💪😂👍

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here is a weird one for ya! My KLR idles just fine. BUT, if I’m idling with the clutch lever in and begin to release it, the bike revs up. It does this every time I try it. As soon as the clutch lever moves, the bike revs.

·
Registered
2022 Khaki base no abs w/ modified 2018 med tusk panniers & racks w/ modified 2018 crash bars
37 Posts
Here is a weird one for ya! My KLR idles just fine. BUT, if I’m idling with the clutch lever in and begin to release it, the bike revs up. It does this every time I try it. As soon as the clutch lever moves, the bike revs.
But only when its in gear right...?

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
I do t think so. Even if I’m in neutral it does it.
I'll ask if your engine oil is level to the top of the oil window when the bike is LEVEL? Or while leaning on the sidestand?
I know NOTHING about the 2022 KLR650 computerized EFI system.

Extremely Too high of engine oil level could account for an idle speed increase when dis-engaging the transmission from the crankshaft with the clutch while in neutral.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'll ask if your engine oil is level to the top of the oil window when the bike is LEVEL? Or while leaning on the sidestand?
I know NOTHING about the 2022 KLR650 computerized EFI system.

Extremely Too high of engine oil level could account for an idle speed increase when dis-engaging the transmission from the crankshaft with the clutch while in neutral.
I know you didn't tag me but My bike is just freshly changed & filled to the appropriate level. It only slightly revs up when in gear & beginning to release clutch lever. It feels like a computer assist to me on my bike. Definitely not an oil level issue on mine. It has happened from day 1 with 3mi on the clock. I assumed it was the fuel injection control in the computer. It took a minute to get used to it reving up every take off😂. Its a slight climb Like 200 rpms or so

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
Yeah, I've been reading every posting. Maybe 2, 3 even 4 times before deciding to supply some additional input.

It is a bit of a mystery to us, especially those of us that have yet to have any contact with a 2022.
I can only suggest that it may be some sort of 'anti-stall' program in the EFI system, to over-come the Reduced Idle Speed setting of the EFI'ed large single cylinder engine (for emissions purposes) as compared to the 1200-1400 rpm recommended idle speed for the older carbed bikes.

We humans are quite 'adaptable', so I'm sure that all of you will get used to its New Habits fairly quickly.

I'll further suggest that one Should (probably) NOT attempt to alter the clutch switches on these Gen 3 bikes, like owners do on the Gen 1 & 2 models!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts