Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
2022 Khaki base no abs w/ modified 2018 med tusk panniers & racks w/ modified 2018 crash bars
I'm seeing this issue (surge) discussed on other forums.

This possible solution popped up. I know nothing about it. Maybe one of you would like to be the first to try it!

O2 Eliminator
That looks like a good option for addressing some issues! 馃憤 I've been pondering some intake & exhaust mods that the guys here have cataloged for us. Awesome work Putting this all in a searchable database that we can ADD TO! I'll probably ride the warranty out & then change things a little bit. I've become accustomed to the slight additional throttle at this point馃槀馃憤 I'm almost to 700mi in my 1st mo on this one. mbstang12 posted about giving the throttle cable a little slack adjustment & that greatly improved the feeling of the clutch/ throttle "BOOST". The slack added a slight delay in the throttle response which made the "computer boost" less noticeable.

Registered
2022 Khaki base no abs w/ modified 2018 med tusk panniers & racks w/ modified 2018 crash bars
Yeah, I've been reading every posting. Maybe 2, 3 even 4 times before deciding to supply some additional input.

It is a bit of a mystery to us, especially those of us that have yet to have any contact with a 2022.
I can only suggest that it may be some sort of 'anti-stall' program in the EFI system, to over-come the Reduced Idle Speed setting of the EFI'ed large single cylinder engine (for emissions purposes) as compared to the 1200-1400 rpm recommended idle speed for the older carbed bikes.

We humans are quite 'adaptable', so I'm sure that all of you will get used to its New Habits fairly quickly.

I'll further suggest that one Should (probably) NOT attempt to alter the clutch switches on these Gen 3 bikes, like owners do on the Gen 1 & 2 models!
The anti stall is probably exactly what it is! The slack in throttle cable that mbstang12 suggested helped.
Your advice & experience & all the other riders on this forum's experience is why we are here. Thank you for contributing ALL your knowledge!

Registered
My '14 Fz07 (and probably a bunch of bikes made since then) would actually do this so noticeably that you could watch the digital tach gauge tick up a notch when it happened. Convenient advancement actually. Just something to acclimate to. Like driving an auto dct car.

Registered
My '14 Fz07 (and probably a bunch of bikes made since then) would actually do this so noticeably that you could watch the digital tach gauge tick up a notch when it happened. Convenient advancement actually. Just something to acclimate to. Like driving an auto dct car.
The slack in the throttle helped 馃槑 馃憤 o just needs a little delay in the bikes response. I'm more accustomed to carburated bikes so this is my first experience with a rev surge like this. In contrast My zx11 has more of a flat spot from the stage 1 jet kit lol. Like you say its just takes some getting used to it. Better than a flat spot!

Registered
My gen 3 has 620mi & I've noticed that the clutch lever affects idle speed at idle. Like the bikes computer is pre-reving up for clutch engagement? I do not know bit I've definitely traced my idle revs fluctuating to my clutch lever position. A couple hundred rpms fluctuation I'm guessing? I DONT HAVE A TACH SO I CANT TELL YOU EXACTLY...馃槀 hey maybe I just broke the code as to why there's no tach from the factory!? Because Then we could actually SEE THE REVS JUMP! Maybe they tried but couldn't fix it so they said "scrap the tach"?馃挭馃槀馃憤
[/QUOTE
I tried this today, and yes, it happens with clutch release. I didn't think to see if it did it in neutral or not, but same behavior. I did order the 02 delete mentioned, so that will be here in a couple weeks. Will see if that does anything or not.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I tried this today, and yes, it happens with clutch release. I didn't think to see if it did it in neutral or not, but same behavior. I did order the 02 delete mentioned, so that will be here in a couple weeks. Will see if that does anything or not.
Please keep us posted, Jumpn.

Premium Member
Whos idea is it to delete the O2 sensor from the EFI loop of sensors and what improvement could that possibly make?
I am EFI illiterate.

Registered
If you have a lambda sensor, the system is supposed to be closed loop. I don't think that deleting the sensor just makes it open loop. I would think a delete kit just makes it slightly more rich all the time?!? A lot of bike efi systems are WAY behind cars when it comes to how much any sensors actually affect running conditions.

Registered
I received this reply regarding the Kawasaki o2 eliminator plug a week after I ordered mine.

It has come to my attention that some ECU's in the US received a firmware update since the initial testing phase of the O2 eliminator. This update causes the ECU to monitor the sensor signal and ensure there is variation within the signal whereas previously it was content with simply having the proper signal. In some cases this causes a check engine light to appear on the dash indicating an O2 fault while the O2 eliminator is plugged in. It is very common for Kawasaki to have ECU updates between testing and full product launch. However, this is the first time it has caused an issue for my eliminators/bypass plugs.

Until I can pinpoint which ECU's are affected and where they were sold I will no longer be selling KLR650 O2 Eliminators on my store.

If you have been affected by this please contact me directly through the kawasakibrad.com website or respond to this email. As always, I'll offer 100% money back no hassle return on all parts. In this case I'll also send you a return shipping label and refund the part and shipping charges (once I receive the part back).

Sorry for the inconvenience. Any questions or concerns please let me know.

I got the delete kit in the mail yesterday. I'm unsure if I'll try it or just send it back now.

Premium Member
Sounds to me as if he will refund if necessary either way.

I'll suggest you fill your fuel tank and make a 50 or 60 mile loop ride, refill the fuel tank and confirm oem condition fuel mileage.
Install the "kawasakibrad" part and ride the exact same route, in same manner as your 1st loop, refill tank & recheck mileage.

Riding 'back to back' on same day / same route you may feel an improvement or a decline in performance.

I see at RMATV/MC that there are currently 2 different ECU's for the 2022 KLR650. One for 49 states & Canada #21175-1665 and one for California #21175-1666. Maybe "kawasakibrad" needs this information?

Which bike do you have, 49 state or CA model? There is 'probably' a part# on the ECU, but I don't know where it is mounted, possibly in rear fender, by look of parts diagram?

Registered
pdwestman, riding a 60 mile loop will be out of the question for a while. Iced roads and -30F wind chills expected tonight. As far as I know, I have a 49 state bike, as I'm in Nebraska, but I guess that's no guarantee. I'll look into it. For now, I'll contact the seller and see what I should do. Thank you. Since the "surge" seems to be related to clutch engagement, I've a feeling it's not related to fueling. I don't know for sure, obviously.

Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
My bike has the same characteristics. I plan on installing KawasakiBrad's o2 sensor delete once it becomes available again. This may get rid of the off-idle lean surge that everyone seems to be experiencing with these new KLR's.
I'll definitely keep you posted on my findings....once I receive the o2 delete around March-April of this year.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts