Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i want advice about the suspension i feel it too soft and want a more accurate and stiff one, both rear and front
I checked a couple of upgrade kits not sure if they fit the 2022 model has any one already install something like this?

· Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Hi i want advice about the suspension i feel it too soft and want a more accurate and stiff one, both rear and front
I checked a couple of upgrade kits not sure if they fit the 2022 model has any one already install something like this?

Call Cogent Dynamics; they have been working on a package for the 2022 already and they are the best IMO. www.motocd.com

Dave

· Premium Member
4,913 Posts
And my standard KLR suspension post; though I did this post before the 2022's came out, they are no different than the 2.14.5+ bikes as far as design, travel and funtionality goes:

Stock KLR suspension is 1980's tech with a damper rod fork and emulsion shock with weak damping and springrates which MAY be marginally acceptable if you weigh 160lb or less and stay on graded gravel roads at worst. 2014.5 NE and up have better spring and damping rates but are the same crappy old design.

The bandaid (cheapy) fixes are;

- many use progressive springs for the forks and heavier oil. This will help with bottoming, wallowing and brake dive but the suspension will be overly harsh and not compliant. Better than stock though. Rather than using heavier oil, I’d recommend trying an increased oil level first which reduces the “air spring” and can stiffen it up a bit without all the harshness of heavier oil…..especially on high speed damping.

- Eaglemike's raising links; these change the geometry and reduce leverage on the shock which raises the effective spring and damping rates. Hopefully you aren't short! Easy and cheap but it's a "one size fits all" deal and it doesn’t deal with the inherent quality issues with the stock shock body and emulsion design.

or

- a stiffer shock spring. While you likely need a stiffer spring to properly set sag, adding a stiffer spring exacerbates the damping issues and creates an unbalanced (oversprung and underdamped) suspension, particularly as the oil becomes contaminated.

Proper suspension fixes;

- forks: cartridge emulators from Racetech, DDC's from Cogent or Ricor Intiminators all with the proper wt springs. The DDC's are my choice because they work at least as good as the RT emulators AND have the simple install of the Ricor Valves.

- shock; a proper aftermarket decarbon shock. Available from Progressive, Cogent, Ricor, Elka, etc. Again, I think the Cogent shocks offer the best value and use top quality, made in the USA components.

While usage, budget and expectations are different for everyone, spending money on the stock shock is false economy IMO and the more you do, the less sense it makes.....better to spend the money on a decent shock. Many people have done the shock rebuild and spring only to replace it later anyway. I've yet to hear a single regret from anyone upgrading to a good shock.

2 cents,

Dave

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,411 Posts
I spoke with Todd at Cogent today and he seemed very sure the 22 forks have a .75 rate for spring. I was surprised to here this. I ended up ordering DDC drop ins for now and will set the preload and check rider sag. The forks do feel stiffer than the usual soggy factory forks of previous gens. IDK for sure just yet but I will report back once I know more.

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,411 Posts
I received an email from cogent yesterday saying my gen 3 DDC's are Inbound. Tracking says Saturday. I plan to install them this weekend unless something changes. Personally the stock fork springs feel stiff enough for my 230lbs so adding the ddc kit is all I plan to do for now. After some riding with them installed I'll see how it feels.

· Registered
2022 ABS Traveler- Orange
203 Posts
I received an email from cogent yesterday saying my gen 3 DDC's are Inbound. Tracking says Saturday. I plan to install them this weekend unless something changes. Personally the stock fork springs feel stiff enough for my 230lbs so adding the ddc kit is all I plan to do for now. After some riding with them installed I'll see how it feels.
I’m looking forward to hearing more opinions, please post the result!

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,411 Posts
My oem fork springs are 430mm x 34mm. They are very heavy wire but have no markings stamped on them. The preload spacers are 224mm long. Oil height was very low at 175mm. At 500 miles, the fork oil was coal black. What little oil was in there.

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,411 Posts
It's barely 9am and I'm already done installing the Cogent DDCs. Very easy job. It's snowing here now... yikes.
I'm thinking I'll head back out to the stable and take a perfectly good clutch arm actuator and hack it in 2 pieces. Then weld a piece of material in there to make the clutch action a bit more old crampy hand friendly. 🤔
Good thing I didn't buy an extended warranty...ha

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,411 Posts
Update on my Cogent DDC setup.
The weather has finally warmed up to 40f so I went for a short 90 minute ride today. I tried finding the choppiest minimally maintained gravel roads and roughest rr crossings I know of.
Overall I'm very pleased with the forks now. They are plush and compliant the way I prefer. And I'm picky.
The bad news... The shock has reared its ugly head as the turd in the punch bowl. I was afraid this may happen. It's not horrible but it's harsh and gives a nice jolt in the backside. I stand allot on rough stuff and I don't feel it much then. I can live with the shock for a while.
I have 3 upcoming weekend rides scheduled so I'll have a better impression then.

· Registered
203 Posts
Update on my Cogent DDC setup.
The weather has finally warmed up to 40f so I went for a short 90 minute ride today. I tried finding the choppiest minimally maintained gravel roads and roughest rr crossings I know of.
Overall I'm very pleased with the forks now. They are plush and compliant the way I prefer. And I'm picky.
The bad news... The shock has reared its ugly head as the turd in the punch bowl. I was afraid this may happen. It's not horrible but it's harsh and gives a nice jolt in the backside. I stand allot on rough stuff and I don't feel it much then. I can live with the shock for a while.
I have 3 upcoming weekend rides scheduled so I'll have a better impression then.
Do you have the adjustable caps?

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,411 Posts
Do you have the adjustable caps?
No. I'm not a big fork preload tweaker. They are pricey and bulky but if a guy constantly changes the load range, maybe it'd be worth it?
I'm running oem fork springs with just the DDC inserts, 5w oil set at 130mm and new preload spacers installed. I just used schedule 40 and cut it to get 8mm preload per cogents instructions.

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,411 Posts
Nope. It has 5 preload settings and a rebound adjustment. It is what it is...
I don't think I'll be trying any g outs at high speed. Not without a double dog dare at least...
I'm sure a revalve by a qualified tuner would help some. Or drop 1500 bucks on a cogent shock.

· Registered
203 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if their springs will make a huge difference, what made you do DDC-only route?

· Registered
58 Posts
Nope. It has 5 preload settings and a rebound adjustment. It is what it is...
I don't think I'll be trying any g outs at high speed. Not without a double dog dare at least...
I'm sure a revalve by a qualified tuner would help some. Or drop 1500 bucks on a cogent shock.
I mis-understood your post: I thought you had the Cogent Shock.

I ride my KLR off-road...A LOT. I have it turned "all the way in" (all 5 clicks IN) and I have the preload on 5. It's almost firm enough; but, to be fair...I'm taking it on trails that are used for AMA GPs and are a bit agro for such a heavy-big ADV focused bike.

What are your preload and damping adjustments on your shock?

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,411 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if their springs will make a huge difference, what made you do DDC-only route?
For reference, I'm 225lbs without riding gear. I'm also tall at 6'4".
The oem fork springs are more than sufficient for my weight so there was absolutely no reason to replace them. I have the base model as well and have already shaved 17lbs off the bike. I have a new Tusk lithium battery on order that will also shave another 4lbs off the full figured gal. Just mentioning it because overall weight including the rider dictates proper spring rates.

· Registered
58 Posts
More preload almost -always- requires more rebound to keep the spring from releasing all it's energy too quickly: the KLR -NEEDS- Rebound!
🤣
If the rear is feeling too stiff, go ahead and take a "click" out of your rebound and see if the bike, while just bouncing it by hand, feels different.

As a test, a person can bounce the bike by holding it upright and just pushing the rear of the bike down rather hard and quick. If you try this with the adjuster on the 1st setting and then try it again on the last setting (all the way out versus all the way in)...you should be able to feel and see a fairly significant difference.

If I'm reading your settings correctly, I'd try one click out on Rebound (1 click lighter/softer) and I'd back the preload off to 3.

Your new forks -may- stay up in the stroke more/ride higher with the new DDCs installed. That may have the bike placing more weight back on the rear wheel & that could explain some of the stiffness you're feeling.

I'm assuming that at your level of riding and weight, you may very likely need a shock with more adjustability.

Loading it up can make it feel worse: causes the shock to stay down in the stroke (like when the bike is REALLY loaded with rider/passenger/gear) & is far into the spring travel & that can feel harsh.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts