Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new so please forgive me if this question has been covered numerous times. I recently purchased SV Motech crash bars and skid plate thinking 'silly me' that they are compatible for my 2012 KLR650. I'm yet to install but was reading last night to my surprise that they are not. Can anyone confirm and if this is the case, can i modify the skid plate to fit?Thanks people.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
lol it's a klr if it dont fit get a bigger persuader. as they say putty and paint makes a fabricator what he aint. flat black fixes a multitude of things. i believe you can make i fit if you want it to.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
It's my understanding that you can make it fit, but the bars might vibrate a LOT.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
putty and paint makes a fabricator what he aint.
We have one of those where I work, I'll remember that. Thanks!!!

Nothing constructive to add here. Carry on.

·
Registered
232 Posts
from what i've heard, they're compatible but a tight fit. you'd like to think the company would warn you if their parts were not compatible with each other :suspicious:

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I have SW Motec bars with a Ricochet skid plate on my '11. Mine fit fine.
Was the skidplate SW Motec too?
Checked on AViscoiusCycle web site. SW Motec plate and bars are compatible for '08 to current. '87 to '07 required a different model skidplate no longer available to fit with the crash bars. That is not an issue with the '08 to current.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2011 with both skid plate and crashbars from SW Motech and they fit fine. The new bars have vibration dampening.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, thanks so much for the replies. Yes Jeff the skid plate is SV Motech so based what the other lads were saying both will fit my 2012. That said i'm not sure which I should fit first, perhaps it makes no difference? Can anyone advise? Thank you all again for your interest. Aaron

·
Registered
46 Posts
A month ago I installed MS-Motech crashbars and a skid plate on my 2009 KLR. Should be the same fit as yours? I found getting the 2 bolts that go thru both the crashbars + skid plate very, very challenging. Also, I found the instructions on how these parts are suppose to mesh - not very clear. To get all the holes lined up to get the long bolts thru in challenging. I did it alone, but if you had someone to help you it would go a lot easier. One person hitting the bolt with a rubber mallet, the other cursing and swearing trying to get it all lined up.

In the end I don't even know if I installed everything properly, but it seems to work and so far no vibrations.

Keep everything loose while you fight the install. If I recall correctly I'd do the rear crashbar bolts last as you can sort of leverage the bars a bit to help with alignment.

It all goes together. Cursing definitely helps!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
SW Motech

Hi all, I'm new so please forgive me if this question has been covered numerous times. I recently purchased SV Motech crash bars and skid plate thinking 'silly me' that they are compatible for my 2012 KLR650. I'm yet to install but was reading last night to my surprise that they are not. Can anyone confirm and if this is the case, can i modify the skid plate to fit?Thanks people.

This may help...
Here's a link to my KLR site..http://www.powers31.info/2011_KLR650.htm
(Scroll down to end, the SW Motech install pdf file...
Here.. http://www.powers31.info/SW Motech Crash Bars on 2011 KLR650.pdf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts