Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my SW Motech center stand on my 2011 last night and I'm pretty disappointed. The springs do a pretty crap job of keeping tension on the stand so it's all the way up. As a result the thing hangs down about an 2" and bounces around a fair bit during riding. If there's no solution to this, it's going back to Revzilla.
Anyone else run into this?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having issues. I don't have such trouble with my SW Motech center stand. The two springs do a great job of keeping the stand up.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've seen YouTube videos that had the same issue with the centerstand bouncing on some terrain. The solution was to zip tie it up when going off road. One of the reasons I decided to go with a trail side jack instead of the centerstand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also just bought the SW MOTECH center stand. Installed it per instructions (super easy) and it bounces through whoops or other drop offs. The springs on there just don't hold tension enough through rough terrain. Going to look to upgrading them with higher tension springs. Probably hard to find since they need to stretch a pretty good distance. I really do like the center stand but its annoying hearing / feeling it clunking against itself in the dirt.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I also just bought the SW MOTECH center stand. Installed it per instructions (super easy) and it bounces through whoops or other drop offs. The springs on there just don't hold tension enough through rough terrain. Going to look to upgrading them with higher tension springs. Probably hard to find since they need to stretch a pretty good distance. I really do like the center stand but its annoying hearing / feeling it clunking against itself in the dirt.
You could always just zip tie it in the up position until ya need it.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Since nobody has mentioned it yet; be aware that the KLR footpeg mounting bolt nuts are a weak link in the system and accessories that use the footpeg mounting bolts (AKA centerstands) add significant stress to this weak area.

Due to this fact, the additional weight, reduction in ground clearance and the penchant for the centerstand to move when you don't want it to, I don't use them and prefer something like this instead; Quick Jack

For KLR's that spend more time on the road than off of it, the centerstand can be hard to resist though.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
125 Posts
Since nobody has mentioned it yet; be aware that the KLR footpeg mounting bolt nuts are a weak link in the system and accessories that use the footpeg mounting bolts (AKA centerstands) add significant stress to this weak area.

Due to this fact, the additional weight, reduction in ground clearance and the penchant for the centerstand to move when you don't want it to, I don't use them and prefer something like this instead; Quick Jack

For KLR's that spend more time on the road than off of it, the centerstand can be hard to resist though.

2 cents,
Dave
Yep. When I went to mount my center stand, the "longer" bolts they sent with it weren't quite long enough, and before I realized it, I stripped one of the nut threads, or at least 1/2 of one. It wasn't an SW Motech stand, BTW. So, perfect time to drill and tap out the nuts to 3/8-16. Now, no more problem. I might still try to see if I can modify the center stand with some kind of bracket welded to it that helps with the "settling" as the bike rolls back on the stand. It's not too bad unless I have the panniers on the back of the bike, which adds some pretty good weight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
what about some kind of rubber tension holder like they put on yeti cooler boxes that are bear tamper proof??

That is a great idea. When I get a chance to rig something up I'll post it. For now it's zip tied for off-road. Even if it does bounce a little it's not destructive or anything. Just distracting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just installed a stand

Now setting up my new KLR 650.

After reading through these posts regarding a center stand, I ordered an SW Motech stand. It came quickly and went on easily. Even the installation of the springs was easy when I used an tool from my toolbox that I used to use when working on drum brakes many years ago. I don't see myself doing a lot of heavy off-road riding, so the issue of having the stand bounce is not a big deal.

Now I can get an accurate read on the oil level glass, and adjust my chain, etc. Too bad we have to spend money on something that used to come as standard equipment.

Next up, in order to use soft pannier bags, I want a rear side utility rack. I'll write about this in a separate post.

ar

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
My centerstand would "chatter" against the kickstand so I used an old grip and zip tied it on the kickstand ... no more noise ... I couldn't hear it with earplugs and helmet but always take a short ride without the earplugs from time to time to listen for noises.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts