Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my crash bars today as well as the Highway pegs.

Noticed that there is a flat area with two holes (monting holes?) in the area of the crash bar where the highway pegs mount. I figured that it is there to mount some other James Bond type equipment :62: but cannot figure it out.

I thought at first it might be to mount lights like the Denali lights but the mounts for them seem to be different.

Any idea / thoughts?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Just installed my crash bars today as well as the Highway pegs.

Noticed that there is a flat area with two holes (monting holes?) in the area of the crash bar where the highway pegs mount. I figured that it is there to mount some other James Bond type equipment :62: but cannot figure it out.

I thought at first it might be to mount lights like the Denali lights but the mounts for them seem to be different.

Any idea / thoughts?

I mounted some amber LED lights there for improved conspicuity. I made my own brackets and used the 2" American Superlite. If I were to do it again I would get the 2.5" and use their bracket.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yep, those are for driving/auxilary lights, of course a set of dual airhorns to warn the bastards that continue to cut you off because they "didn't see you" would be nice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, air horns or better yet twin machine guns would be great down here in El Paso - the land of crappy drivers.

Figured it was for some type of lights, just have to figure out which has mounts that will fit the plate on the bars.

Thanks.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mine are still in the box at my friends house over a hundred miles away mocking me waiting to be put on. :46:

Just wondering, how was the instal for you? Did you do it alone or with help? Any tips or tricks or snags to pass on? And how is the vibrations on them?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paper,

El Paso, Tx.

Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that 1 in 3 cars / drivers on the road were from south of the border.

F'ers can't speak English much less drive. They drive crappy vehicles and don't care if they crash into you or not. I can't count in all my fingers and toes how many times I've had a juarez, chihuahua (sp? and I don't really care), or other plated vehicle almost run me over or wreck me on one of my bikes since I was stationed here three years ago. They just don't care as they feel that this is their land, it was stolen from them, and they want it back.:46:

Yes I'm ranting. I almost got clipped again this morning by a 'lady' putting bondo on her face while driving - caused me to drive off the road into the gravel, and almost mess my shorts. :character00271: Rant off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for good price on SW Motech crashbars

I'm new to the KLR Forum...I am looking for good price on SW Motech crashbars. I see in past posts that Paulo888 offered to become a dealer of Twisted Throttle stuff and get SW Motech bars for a good price.

Is that opportunity still available? I might get two sets (for my wife's 09 and my 08). Price?

If not through Paulo888, anyone have other recommendations. The best price I've seen is $239. Seems pricey compared to Happy Trails, Givi. Besides, I rarely pay full retail for anything. Hello? I ride a KLR, not a BMW!

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I'm new to the KLR Forum...I am looking for good price on SW Motech crashbars. I see in past posts that Paulo888 offered to become a dealer of Twisted Throttle stuff and get SW Motech bars for a good price.

Is that opportunity still available? I might get two sets (for my wife's 09 and my 08). Price?

If not through Paulo888, anyone have other recommendations. The best price I've seen is $239. Seems pricey compared to Happy Trails, Givi. Besides, I rarely pay full retail for anything. Hello? I ride a KLR, not a BMW!
Yer in. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Great crashbars , but i write this with a great measure of hesitation. Paulo is the way to go and other crashbars seem, not so beefy and dont look as good. They are made from good heavy GERMAN steel. Not that Chinese crap they pump out.

HOWEVER.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine never mounted properly.... I screwed up and tried to make it work, only making it worse. Now i got the Eagle Mike subframe upgrade kit, 29.00 bucks, and all should be well. If you get anything from this message please , please , please , get the upgrade kit while your mounting the crashbars. Its been a nightmare for me cuz i didnt do it right the ffirst time......Halfassing only takes twice as long!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck and get in touch with Paulo888, and welcome to the greatest KLR ASSET you will ever come across...

·
Registered
3 Posts
SW Motech bars and subframe upgrade kit

vatrader,
Thanks for the welcome to the forum!

screaminsal,
Thanks for the tip re: Eagle Mike subframe upgrade kit. Do you have a URL or other contact info for Eagle Mike?

Do others have any other recommendations about other subframe upgrade kit vendors?

What is included? Do they all include the same items? Does it all match up with the SW Motech bars without mods?

Anyone know how to contact Paulo888 re: the SW Motech bars? I've sent him a PM and posted messages in this forum. Maybe he's out riding his KLR and not sitting at his computer! Let's hope so.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I am out on the road working/playing so I have only been reading not posting but wanted to say, this last weekend I finally got my crashbars on without the subframe kit and it was so easy and quick. Take your time and do not force anything! After one look at it we decided to just pop the tank off and I have no clue why anyone complains about that as it was half a second more work and easy to pop on after wards. Mine have no more vibrations then the bike itself and the highway pegs are comfortable to use for long rides. Took me and one friend a really lazy, goofing off hour from first bolt to last. Pics to come when I get home.

That said, Eagle Mike is an awesome guy and makes a great product. I have no doubt his kit will be a nice upgrade to your bike! Here is his website: http://www.eagle-m-e.com

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I am out on the road working/playing so I have only been reading not posting but wanted to say, this last weekend I finally got my crashbars on without the subframe kit and it was so easy and quick. Take your time and do not force anything! After one look at it we decided to just pop the tank off and I have no clue why anyone complains about that as it was half a second more work and easy to pop on after wards. Mine have no more vibrations then the bike itself and the highway pegs are comfortable to use for long rides. Took me and one friend a really lazy, goofing off hour from first bolt to last. Pics to come when I get home.

That said, Eagle Mike is an awesome guy and makes a great product. I have no doubt his kit will be a nice upgrade to your bike! Here is his website: http://www.eagle-m-e.com
That was my experience. No issues at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gday Gents
Im going to fit MoTech Crash bars to my 2010 model bike.
What is the subframe bolt kit you have mentioned, where does it go, what does it do? Any Links or Pics to see?
Sorry if I seem dumb but Im new to the KLR world.
- And I hate not having what everyone else has :)
Steve.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Gday Gents
What is the subframe bolt kit you have mentioned, where does it go, what does it do? Any Links or Pics to see?
Steve.
I did not add any myself and the only subframe kit I know of is from Eagle Mikes.
http://www.eagle-m-e.com/productlist.htm

I believe it is to add strength and durability for those doing tons of off roading. I'm sure someone who knows better with experience will chime in.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Gday Gents
Steve.

The subframe bolt kit upgrades the old model KLRs weaker, smaller bolts. The new model bikes don't need it, they have larger diameter bolts stock. The SW Motech bars come with upgraded (harder than stock) bolts also.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did the SW bars and eagle mikes sub frame kit on my '09. Hardest part of the whole operation was drilling through the frame to install the new bolt. But overall wasnt really that much of an operation. I would not let the reports of others scare you away. anyone with a wrench and some patience will be able to do this install.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Pm sent

1 - 20 of 21 Posts