Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 KLR650
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 2018 used and just noticed the front main engine bolt is missing.
The PO installed the skid plate and did not install the bolt .
I can easily fix it just wondering if this is a common problem with Motek.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Bought my 2018 used and just noticed the front main engine bolt is missing.
The PO installed the skid plate and did not install the bolt .
I can easily fix it just wondering if this is a common problem with Motek.
No, that's not a common issue to have happen on SW-Motech. Vibration is the nemesis of ALL bolts. Are you sure the PO didn't install the bolt? Did he tell you he didn't? If he didn't install it it may have been because the MoTech Engine Guard can be a tricky plate to install and maybe he did indeed give up on adding that particular bolt. Every time you remove or add something to your motorcycle you need to follow-up religiously and go over each bolt to make sure they are still securely in place. If you don't you could pay the price of just what you're talking about. Missing bolts.

This is the Engine Guard I have from SW-Motech and it works fine. I installed all 4 bolts required. And, yes, I keep an eye on them to make sure they're all there.

Reactions: AzMtnThumper

·
Registered
2018 KLR650
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My guess is the bolt was left off.
When I got the plate off the holes were misaligned. At that point I gave up because I did not have time to go further.

Not the only hardware missing that i have found!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yeah, as I mentioned that particular Engine Guard is a bit fickle when it comes to fitment.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Yeah, as I mentioned that particular Engine Guard is a bit fickle when it comes to fitment.
IMO, many aftermarket add-on parts are a bit 'fickle' when it come to actual fitment.

Get used to it and purchase a rat-tail file.

Reactions: KBear

·
Registered
2018 KLR650
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it fixed yesterday.
The misalignment was with the two brackets that bolt to the frame down tube.I assume they are part of the SW hardware.
I loosened the two bolts that hold the brackets on but still could not get the main bolt hole to align.
I took the brackets off and drilled the three holes larger and was able to get the engine bolt in.

Thanks for the reply's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts