Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my bike in April w/18,000, Rear chain was garbage and the 3 nipple on the lower part of the chain guide were gone... (see picture)

I used 3m weather strip adhesive (awesome stuff) to hold it to the swing-arm, works great! holding up well but want to change before top ones tear off.

My question is:
I have a new OEM guide on it's way, when I install it is there anything you folks do to secure it better?
Is it normal for the nipples to tear off?
How long do these last if you maintain chain properly?
Any advise welcomed!!

tried a search, not much info on this matter...

Gordon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
Apparently, too tight of chain wears out the top of the slider first.

Too loose of a chain wears out the bottom at the 7:00 position.
(The hooks in the front sprocket teeth 'throw' the overly loose/overly worn chain up against the under-side of the slider.)

So I think, I remember that I have replaced my front slider once in 77,000 + miles.

Edit, (Chinese rubber used on the newer models and replacement parts 'sucks'!)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It seems that Kawasaki calls what many of us call the chain slider a "chain guide". I had to replace one in the second 50k miles when it wore through and let the chain rub on the swingarm. The nipples were still on it.

A chain rubbing on the metal arm can destroy it. I have heard of guys flipping them over when in a bind on the road.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess slider is more what it is..
DPelletier: Seen that site before but, maybe I am blind, seen none for gen2.
However when I am unsure I get genuine Kawi, if it is anything like Harleys, there's a lot of aftermarket junk out there.
I always try to look to the people that know first!

Thanks..
Gordon

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
However when I am unsure I get genuine Kawi, if it is anything like Harleys, there's a lot of aftermarket junk out there.

Thanks..
Gordon
Nope, you're not blind; my mistake....and since the Gen2 has a completely different swingarm, they probably wouldn't fit.

Generally I agree on stock parts being higher quality; there are a ton of things I'd only buy from Kawi.....at the same time there are a great many aftermarket parts that are far superior to the stock goodies; eg. bars, footpegs, tires, bulbs, batteries, etc. etc. ....the trick is to know which is which!

As far as the original question; I'm with Paul and GoMotor; these things last for a long time....both my Gen1's still have the originals in place and I expect them to last for quite awhile yet. 50 - 75k would make sense to me.

On other bikes when I've had to replace them, I didn't add any other adhesive or fastener. ...on the flip side rubber quality seems much spottier these days than it used to be.

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts

Thanks..
Gordon
Gordon,
I did read on the web-site that he would give a discount to the first person to send an original OEM part to him, to help him make duplicate pattern.

Might be worth an e-mail or a phone call for someone, being as you already have a genuine OEM part to replace with. Or you can politely send your old / worn-out damaged one for free to help the KLR community.
Thanks to you and Dave P. both for the info.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gordon,
I did read on the web-site that he would give a discount to the first person to send an original OEM part to him, to help him make duplicate pattern.

Might be worth an e-mail or a phone call for someone, being as you already have a genuine OEM part to replace with. Or you can politely send your old / worn-out damaged one for free to help the KLR community.
I will drop them a e-mail tonight... I would send it, no problem..

Thank you!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gordon,

Offered to send them my old one, he thanked me a said he already had one, they will be available in a couple months.

Reactions: pdwestman
1 - 11 of 11 Posts