Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep.. sold my trusty 650 V-SStrom and bought a truck for work... Lasted 2 weeks.. and bought a 2016 Camo KLR... LOL.. So now I am a newbie and have to learn a New (old) bike and all the mods Needed.. and upgrades.. I am 1st. interested in the LED upgrades since the bike is Camo.. lol.. Open to any comments and directions.. I am in W Fla. and ride all the time....

·
Registered
901 Posts
Congrats on the new toy!

I've never ridden a V-Strom, but I recently watched a YouTube video by a guy called eveRide where he compared the V-Strom 650 to the KLR650. They both seem to be very capable bikes, with the Strom getting the edge on pavement, and the KLR getting the edge on dirt.

For me, the KLR fit my riding style to perfection - and the price was great, too!

Reactions: captsam54

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.. I saw that one too and many others before I bought the KLR...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats and welcome!
Thanks.. I see your in the Tampa area.. I am in Apollo Beach... I will be looking for Trails soon as I get the crash bars installed..lol I have a friend who lives in Sarasota that knows some and rides a KLR.. So maybe he will know some you may not..

·
Registered
541 Posts
Let me know when you ride with your bud down in Sarasota and I'll tag along if okay.

I can show you around West Central, North and even South Florida when you're ready. Hope you like sand. :smile2:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol.. I don't like sand... but will let you know when we go off riding after I get some new parts on the bike.. I am on fb too.. easy to reach me there..

·
Registered
541 Posts
lol.. I don't like sand... but will let you know when we go off riding after I get some new parts on the bike.
Might want to consider some high "waterproof" boots too. :smile2:

(Jane’s Scenic Drive/Fakahatachee Strand)

(Okaloacoochee Slough)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have waterproof boots but they are not high enough..for that..lol

·
Registered
171 Posts
congrats, camo is nice!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Why the switch? With the torque and other features, the vstrom is an upgrade from the K.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Why the switch? With the torque and other features, the vstrom is an upgrade from the K.
Not speaking for the OP, but that is extremely subjective! Yes the V strom is a much better road bike....but the KLR is a MUCH better offroad bike. Depends what you are planning to ride. You certainly aren't going to follow me where I ride on a VStrom.

Dave

·
Registered
259 Posts
Congrats. I too sold my wee a couple of weeks ago. When I bought the wee I really thought it would do more but..... It is great on pavement and lite gravel. The KLR is so much better in the dirt though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
HUH? Depends on what your looking to do. Sorry, it just hit a nerve using the word upgrade. I used to hear it all the time having a sportster. Finally got a dyna and "Upgraded" to garbage. The sportster blew it away. The V-strom can't do anything in stock form compared to a KLR...Here in Florida anyway. I've owned a Versys and wouldn't dare take it on a non paved road here. Also the power deliver is completely different between a twin and a single as is the transmission and drive ratio's. I believe the V-Strom is very similiar to the Versys and is really more geared toward a street bike in stock form. And yes I've seen the ever-ride video on the comparison to the KLR. But depending on where your located that comparison gets shady. Not to mention the advantage the KLR has with a 21" front wheel and its suspension.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why the switch? With the torque and other features, the V-strom is an upgrade from the K.
So I can go more places.... The V-Strom just felt so heavy and the KLR has a bigger ft. wheel and just feels better in the dirt...

·
Registered
195 Posts
So I can go more places.... The V-Strom just felt so heavy and the KLR has a bigger ft. wheel and just feels better in the dirt...
Makes sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts