Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a general question here: curious after reading some recent posts about cooling.

If you ride where it's really hot, does installing the t-bob make your cooling system more dependent on the electric fan? If the t-bob keeps the engine around mid-range on the temp gauge, does it tend to edge up over the limit where the fan kicks on more often or does the t-bob itself generally hold temps below that limit?

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts
Answering in somewhat reverse order...

...does the t-bob itself generally hold temps below that limit?
That is a bit of a non sequitor. The T-Bob doesn't hold temperatures below a limit, it raises temperatures above a limit, which may be thought of as the thermostat rating for the sake of argument. It works to bring the entire system up to the t-stat level and keep it there. I may be picking a nit with your semantics. Probably with the words 'hold temps'. Replace that with 'stay' and we're on the same page.

...If you ride where it's really hot, does installing the t-bob make your cooling system more dependent on the electric fan?...
I ride in the desert a fair bit and don't believe it does. The temp at which the fan comes on is fairly well above the temp that the T-Bob causes. The T-Bob just brings it up there faster than mother nature would but once it's hot, it's hot and it doesn't matter how it got there.

... If the t-bob keeps the engine around mid-range on the temp gauge, does it tend to edge up over the limit where the fan kicks on more often...
Not that I have ever noticed, for the same reason as above.

T

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'm confused, whats the point?

·
Registered
219 Posts
The theory is that in stock form, (without TB) the temp fluctuates between hot and cold, Some believe this is not good for the engine. WITH the TB, it comes up to normal operating temp and stays there like your car does. Others believe this is better for your engine. I tend to agree with the latter as I know metals expand and contract with temp differences and it just seems to me the sooner you get an engine up to temp and hold it there, the better.

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Makes sense. Thanks for the info, guys. I appreciate it. I didn't know how much above the t-bob optimum temp the fan reached its kick-on temp.

I can honestly say that I don't think my fan has ever come on. If it has, I've never heard it or known it. I've never seen my temp gauge anywhere even close to the halfway mark on the gauge, no matter how hot the air is.

But, I'm always moving, don't ride in a lot of traffic and don't do any riding that would make the engine work hard while not actually moving fast enough for a good airflow, such as single-track riding, etc.

I appreciate your replies.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You won't hear your fan but in this heat it BETTER be coming on. Turn you bike off by just killing it (leave the key on) and you should hear your fan run for a little while. I did it just to test mine recently and it works.

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You won't hear your fan but in this heat it BETTER be coming on. Turn you bike off by just killing it (leave the key on) and you should hear your fan run for a little while. I did it just to test mine recently and it works.
I'm guessing it's not coming on, but suppose it could be. Even when it's 100 out, my temp gauge rarely nears the "quarter point" on the gauge: it usually stays very near the bottom of the range on the gauge.

I would think it would have to get up over the halfway mark before the fan kicked on, but am not sure. Nowhere near overheating, tho, so I guess the airflow is enough.

I'll try your method to see if it's on, but I just don't think it's running if the temp never gets that high. I suppose I could just let it sit and idle awhile to get hot then see if it comes on to make sure it works.

It might seem far-fetched and might be my imagination, but I could swear the thing runs cooler since I put on those HT nerf bar pannier bag things. Possibly they catch and funnel more air toward the radiator?

As noted, tho, when I ride, I rarely stop and am usually moving 30-60mph, slowing down for the occasional sharp turn or stop sign.

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
I've never heard mine come on either. On my Shadow I used to hear it kick in on the hottest days in heavy traffic, but on the KLR we haven't had that many really hot days yet. Like Planalp though, most my riding is in the open as well, not too much stop and go.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The fan is not all that loud. If you have a Gen 2, it is on the 'drivers' side. Get a flashlight, ride til it is hot. Sit in place until the temperature gauge climbs high. Put it in neutral, get on the ground, shine light up under fairings towards the front of the bike. You will be able to tell whether it is running or not. Are you sure you guys ain't talking yourself into fits for nothing? My temp goes up, goes down., goes all over the place according to the gauge. I think my temp went to Disneyland once. My fan works.

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fan is not all that loud. If you have a Gen 2, it is on the 'drivers' side. Get a flashlight, ride til it is hot. Sit in place until the temperature gauge climbs high. Put it in neutral, get on the ground, shine light up under fairings towards the front of the bike. You will be able to tell whether it is running or not. Are you sure you guys ain't talking yourself into fits for nothing? My temp goes up, goes down., goes all over the place according to the gauge. I think my temp went to Disneyland once. My fan works.
I must admit, probably a bad habit, but I rarely pay any attention to my temperature gauge. If it moved more, I might, but it never does, so I tend to ignore it.

Hell, I hardly even look down at my dash at all except to make sure I punched my blinker off after a turn because even after all these years, I have a bad habit of forgetting about it.

I think it's from not using them much. You don't have to use blinkers around here because everybody else already knows where you're going.

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
Lol, no fits here... I just don't believe my KLR has ever gotten hot enough for the fan to kick in. My Shadow yes, you could actually hear it at a light, but my KLR has never gone much past the first bar (cold)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts