Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2022 KLR 650 Adventure Non-ABS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I dropped my 2022 Adventure model off with T-Rex Racing in Dallas, TX the week of Thanksgiving for them to design parts for the new gen 3 KLRs. Yesterday, I went and picked the bike back up.

They have designed, for the gen 3s, Engine guards that will work with both adventure, and non-adventure models. The upper and lower guards are separate, so the uppers can be used with the factory frame sliders.

They also made a skid plate, that goes all the way back, just past the suspension linkage, as well as a center stand.

Wrap around hand guards that fit the stock bars, and use the Bark busters VPS plastics. And finally side luggage racks, that I was not able to get yet, and do not have any pictures for.

They could not give me and eta on when these will be available, as they are waiting on material, which they are hoping to get some time next month. They should have the parts listed on their website next week.

Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Cloud Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank

Tire Cloud Wheel Fuel tank Sky

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Sky Bicycle part

Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

Sky Tire Automotive tire Cloud Helmet

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looks good maybe the best looking and sturdiest made this far. I will be contacting them in a few weeks about them.
I wouldn’t have agreed, at first. But I’m liking them more and more. The shape and angle go right along with the lines on the bike. Based on my knowledge of T-Rex, there is no doubt they are sturdy. I do wish they would have put a bar across the opening in the crash bars. It seems a bit big, and one bar across it would make it less likely for a rock in that area to hit the fairing.

But enough “Monday Morning Quarterbacking”. I like them a lot and will probably end up with these. (y)

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
I'd suggest to T-Rex Racing that they Need a Longer foot Lever on their centerstand & a crossbar thru the middle of their fairing guards!

Reactions: OutlandMoto

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd suggest to T-Rex Racing that they Need a Longer foot Lever on their centerstand & a crossbar thru the middle of their fairing guards!
Completely agree. Not having the crossbar across the middle of the fairing guards is the thing that’s giving me pause. To me , they have the best looking design out of those out there. But that HUGE opening in the fairing guards leaves open too many scenarios to damage the fairing. Maybe they will see this thread and consider it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Completely agree. Not having the crossbar across the middle of the fairing guards is the thing that’s giving me pause. To me , they have the best looking design out of those out there. But that HUGE opening in the fairing guards leaves open too many scenarios to damage the fairing. Maybe they will see this thread and consider it.
They just uploaded pictures on Facebook. Looks like they listened, and will be adding a crossbar!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
81 Posts
Super happy to see this! Just ordered the center stand! I hope the engine guards aren't too far behind! Where will the bar be added? In the middle of the big irregular quadrilateral you think? Wow who said geometry wouldn't be useful??!! :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
My ocd is screaming "Why not button-head socket cap fasteners!?!?!?!" Basically the whole bike has these. Sorry, I'm done now. Center stand looks legit oem though (y) .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Received and installed the center stand today! Super super simple install! I was amazed actually. Looks totally factory! I really like it's operation. Placing the bike up on it will require a little more practice but it will eventually become 2nd nature. My FJR was a pill at first also. The "kicker" could probably use a little more length to it maybe? Anyway I really like it! So to end with a question...Majority of my past bikes had center stands from factory.....What do ya'll think the reason KLR does not come with one?--- because it's an Adventure bike and center stand would be in the way for the hardcore riders? Or is is to keep the cost down? Anyway great product! If this is any indicator of the engine guards they should be great too!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Received and installed the center stand today! Super super simple install! I was amazed actually. Looks totally factory! I really like it's operation. Placing the bike up on it will require a little more practice but it will eventually become 2nd nature. My FJR was a pill at first also. The "kicker" could probably use a little more length to it maybe? Anyway I really like it! So to end with a question...Majority of my past bikes had center stands from factory.....What do ya'll think the reason KLR does not come with one?--- because it's an Adventure bike and center stand would be in the way for the hardcore riders? Or is is to keep the cost down? Anyway great product! If this is any indicator of the engine guards they should be great too!!
Thanks for the update. I was on the fence about the center stand. The foot actuator seemed a bit short. But other than that, it looked great. I’m seriously leaning towards doing the whole setup (upper and lower crash bars, skid plate, and center stand) from T-Rex. I’ve heard nothing but good things.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the update. I was on the fence about the center stand. The foot actuator seemed a bit short. But other than that, it looked great. I’m seriously leaning towards doing the whole setup (upper and lower crash bars, skid plate, and center stand) from T-Rex. I’ve heard nothing but good things.
You're welcome! Yes I will probably purchase everything also. The skid plate is showing up on their website for sale now at $200. I'm prioritizing my purchases so next on my list is the engine guards. Then I'm thinking skid and bark busters. I was going to pull the trigger on the bark busters sooner but I really like the all blacked out version in their video. The ones on the website for purchase show "Barkbuster" is all in white lettering. I may need to email them and see if they can clarify how they are being packaged.

Reactions: OutlandMoto

·
Registered
81 Posts
Today is the last day of their sale so I grabbed a center stand.
Hoping the crash bars are ready soon.
I'll be curious to see what your thoughts are on it. There was no sale when I ordered mine but I did get a nice free t-shirt. I saw that sale today though so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on their barkbusters. I agree, I'm really waiting on the crash bars! I'm hoping the price won't be crazy too! Lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'll be curious to see what your thoughts are on it. There was no sale when I ordered mine but I did get a nice free t-shirt. I saw that sale today though so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on their barkbusters. I agree, I'm really waiting on the crash bars! I'm hoping the price won't be crazy too! Lol
There is a promotion code on the home page to get 10% off orders. I bit the bullet and ordered the center stand. Hoping T-Rex sells a upper/lower crash bar & skid plate combo like they do for the Gen 2, once they become available. (y)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took everything (except the center stand) off the bike today and weighed them. They are as follows:
Skid plate - 4.4lbs - 2kg
Lower crash bars - 6.4lbs - 2.9kg
Upper crash bars - 14.8lbs - 6.7kg (production bars will have an added cross bar, so I'd say 15lbs - 0.1kg)

Bringing total added weight (again except the center stand) to 25.6lbs - 11.6kg

I have to say, I was expecting everything to weigh more than it did, in the hand, when I took them off the bike, but this is my first real experience with this type of crash protection.

*The above weights include all the hardware required to mount each part.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I took everything (except the center stand) off the bike today and weighed them. They are as follows:
Skid plate - 4.4lbs - 2kg
Lower crash bars - 6.4lbs - 2.9kg
Upper crash bars - 14.8lbs - 6.7kg (production bars will have an added cross bar, so I'd say 15lbs - 0.1kg)

Bringing total added weight (again except the center stand) to 25.6lbs - 11.6kg

I have to say, I was expecting everything to weigh more than it did, in the hand, when I took them off the bike, but this is my first real experience with this type of crash protection.

*The above weights include all the hardware required to mount each part.
Thanks for this information.

My (very humble) opinion. They could weigh 50lbs for all I care. The protection is more important. If I wanted a lightweight enduro or dual sport, I would have bought a different bike. The KLR is already kind of a fat pig for a 650 single. So, I’m not going to worry myself about adding more weight to it. Honestly, that’s part of why I love them.

That said, this is good FYI information to have. Thanks again for the effort, @feenickz !

·
Registered
7 Posts
I signed up for the email alert for both the skid plate and crash bars, nothing yet. I received their hand guards yesterday and they are awesome, I am hoping the crash bars exceed expectations also.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts