Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts
Does your bike have lowering links installed on it?
If so, that is changing the angle of attack of the center stand Feet & the lift height.

• Helpful
Reactions: MN Willie
I had a bit of trouble raising my bike up onto the T-Rex center stand when I first installed it as well. Having the T-Rex upper crash bars helps, as it gives you a good lifting/pulling point for one hand. Technique is pretty critical as well-it was much harder to lift onto the stand than my old Honda Valkyrie which was much heavier. I got the hang of it, but it was taking two or three tries each time.

I recently installed a Cogent Moab rear shock which added about an inch of height to the rear and a side benefit is it is easier to get on the center stand now.

I think using a piece of plywood under the rear wheel would suffice for you, or the 2x4 if it fits. With the new shock I cannot quite get a 2x4 under my rear tire anymore. Cutting a little off the legs of the stand and welding would be the ideal solution. In any case, your technique will improve with time and practice.
thanks
nice to hear yours was also high. I have a sw-motech lifting handle on my 09, I will install it this weekend and see if that helps. I added a one inch nylon lifting strap where the fitting handle mounts and that helped. But a piece of 2x6x6 I carry in my pelican case makes it a piece of cake. I like it high for tire change.

I pulled the swmotech lifting handle off my 09. The hole spacing is different - why, Kawasaki, why? So I filled in one whole with a welder, ground flat, drilled a new hole, primed, and painted. Installed it with a small nylon spacer and gave it a try. Worked on first try. Actually worked better on the 22, then the 09. Tight fit on the 09 and I am sure the added nylon spacer helped a little there. But the angle was better and location relative to cg was better. I will be upgrading the shock as well and that will help also.
The 2x6 board worked great! I 45ed the end to facilitate an easy roll on. No energy to lift on stand. But now I don’t have to carry around the board.
To offset the extra weight of the CS, I lost 20 lbs.

For the record, I own T-Rex Crash Bars & Skid Plate. The Initial quality is GREAT! They are built like a "Brick $hit House"!

I do NOT own the Center Stand. I've, in my 50ish years on 2 wheels with an Engine have not been able to develop a like for the "Center Stand" on a Motorcycle. The side stand works. If you want to work on the Bike, a Hoist or Lift is the only way to go. If in the field, is a center stand going to work in anything other than a road condition?

Different strokes.... just not for me. I can't stand them. Pain in the A$$ to use. Add weight. Take up space. More to maintain. More to break. You lose ground clearance.

If the T-Rex Center Stand is anything like the Crash Bars, my guess is they are bulletproof!

Willie

Reactions: patrkbukly
Yea I just prefer them as they are balanced on the bike so front or rear tire removal is a snap to change tires as well as easy chain maintenance and just general working on the bike in it’s straight up position is my preference.

Anyway, well made for sure just not well engineered.

For the record, I own T-Rex Crash Bars & Skid Plate. The Initial quality is GREAT! They are built like a "Brick $hit House"!

I do NOT own the Center Stand. I've, in my 50ish years on 2 wheels with an Engine have not been able to develop a like for the "Center Stand" on a Motorcycle. The side stand works. If you want to work on the Bike, a Hoist or Lift is the only way to go. If in the field, is a center stand going to work in anything other than a road condition?

Different strokes.... just not for me. I can't stand them. Pain in the A$$ to use. Add weight. Take up space. More to maintain. More to break. You lose ground clearance.

If the T-Rex Center Stand is anything like the Crash Bars, my guess is they are bulletproof!

Willie
If you are worried about weight, you are on the wrong bike. Plus, what does it weigh, 3lbs. When adventure touring that ain’t nothing. Breaking? As you say they are built. What space? The are on the bottom, I never carry anything down there. What is there to maintain? I will admit you do loose ground clearance and they can be an issue on off road use, if you are riding a klr like a true off road machine or single track use. But for those that use it as a dual sport and adventure touring, they do come in handy! Not necessary, but a blessing to have when needed and never noticed when not.
To use in dirt or soft gravel, I carry two pieces of 1/2” plywood, the size of my saddlebags, just slid down inside. Yeah they weigh an extra pound combined, and they take up a 1/2” space. But nice to have if I have a flat.
just my stupid thoughts on the subject!

If you are worried about weight, you are on the wrong bike. Plus, what does it weigh, 3lbs. When adventure touring that ain’t nothing. Breaking? As you say they are built. What space? The are on the bottom, I never carry anything down there. What is there to maintain? I will admit you do loose ground clearance and they can be an issue on off road use, if you are riding a klr like a true off road machine or single track use. But for those that use it as a dual sport and adventure touring, they do come in handy! Not necessary, but a blessing to have when needed and never noticed when not.
To use in dirt or soft gravel, I carry two pieces of 1/2” plywood, the size of my saddlebags, just slid down inside. Yeah they weigh an extra pound combined, and they take up a 1/2” space. But nice to have if I have a flat.
just my stupid thoughts on the subject!
I am a bit worried about weight. Since taking myself off the Opioids the Doctors had me on for 20+ years for my Back (and most recently Neck injuries), I've gone from 293lbs down to 221lbs. But that's me. I'm shooting for 200lbs.

My Bike.... I've added a butt-ton (as I see it - see below) of crap thus far. That weight adds up. Being Disabled, I'm trying to keep it down within reason. All I'm sayin is, I don't need the added weight. The Side Stand is just fine for me.

I do plan on making a Trail Stand/Jack to have along for repairs on the Road/Trail.

Willie

Reactions: LeviCurr
T Rex Centerstand is too high. Almost impossible to deploy.
I have owned dozens of bikes with centerstands and this is ridicilous.
I like them as a company but they need to redo the design.
Anyway, well made for sure just not well engineered.
If your bike is lowered in any manner, all single height center-stands will be to long to deploy & lift, unless you carry a 2 x 4 wedge to roll under the rear tire before deploying the center-stand.
Happy-Trail is the only one that I know of that makes an adjustable height center-stand to accommodate both lowered or raised KLR's.

Reactions: JimR
If your bike is lowered in any manner, all single height center-stands will be to long to deploy & lift, unless you carry a 2 x 4 wedge to roll under the rear tire before deploying the center-stand.
Happy-Trail is the only one that I know of that makes an adjustable height center-stand to accommodate both lowered or raised KLR's.
Not lowered in any way.

I have had many bikes with centerstands that lifted quite easily. Trex are just too long. The rear is 2" off the ground when deployed.

A good centerstand will lift the bike leaving the rear tire less than 1" from the ground. It's enough to remove the rear wheel and balanced so it tilts rearward when the front tire is removed. It's also little enough that the pivot point where the most pull stress occurs is not bad at all and uses downward foot force against the fulcrum as opposed to bike lifting.

My 09 had a SW Motech centerstand and it was engineered very well.
I appreciate your 2x4 suggestion but to me paying $219 for a centerstand that requires a piece of wood in your kit is silly, but since you mentioned it....where exactly would the 2 x 4 be placed to improve the leverage of getting the bike on the centerstand?

The T. rex is too high for non lowered. The upside is plenty of clearance.
I too, used to improvise, many decades ago, then I switched to the jack stand.
I added a cs to my zx14r and loved it. Never had an issue in cornering, drug my foot pegs before the cs. Zero chicken strips.
since then I have been using them.
for my long adventure touring on the klr650, which includes almost zero dirt, I would never go without. Just so much easier. Then again I am to old and broken to do dirt.
Not lowered in any way.

I have had many bikes with centerstands that lifted quite easily. Trex are just too long. The rear is 2" off the ground when deployed.

A good centerstand will lift the bike leaving the rear tire less than 1" from the ground. It's enough to remove the rear wheel and balanced so it tilts rearward when the front tire is removed. It's also little enough that the pivot point where the most pull stress occurs is not bad at all and uses downward foot force against the fulcrum as opposed to bike lifting.

My 09 had a SW Motech centerstand and it was engineered very well.
I appreciate your 2x4 suggestion but to me paying $219 for a centerstand that requires a piece of wood in your kit is silly.
no kidding
The motech lifting handl (which has to be modified to fit) help immensely.
So for 220 + 50 you get a center stand that is only moderately difficult to deploy. Makes you wonder if they bothered to install and check, or just went of a cad file that had a typo error in the length!

My T-Rex center stand was a little disappointing the first time I tried to lift the bike. I eventually got the hang of it, but it would take me a couple tries and the only reason I could do it at all was because I had the T-Rex upper crash guards to grab onto with one hand.

One side benefit of installing the Cogent suspension is that the seat height raised an inch (I‘m pretty tall) and the rear wheel dropped a bit relative to the center stand. Now it works easily and I always get it up first try. If not for that happy coincidence I would have eventually shortened the center stand by cutting/rewelding the feet.

it....where exactly would the 2 x 4 be placed to improve the leverage of getting the bike on the centerstand?
It is in my first post.
Under the Rear Tire.
One can even Tilt a bike with a flat tire to the left on the side stand and slide the wood block under the rear tire with your right foot. Then deploy the center stand.

Reactions: patrkbukly
It is in my first post.
Under the Rear Tire.
One can even Tilt a bike with a flat tire to the left on the side stand and slide the wood block under the rear tire with your right foot. Then deploy the center stand.
Exactly
Pathetic! Spend that kind of money to come up with a work around, because the QC fell short!

With all due respect, thats ridiculous.
I dont mean your idea to make it work but rather that the engineering requires you to carry a 2 x 4.
Exactly
Pathetic! Spend that kind of money to come up with a work around, because the QC fell short!
Well you should both contact the manufacturer of any inferior products that you've purchased, rather than whining about them on a forum.
I'm out!

Reactions: MN Willie
Well you should both contact the manufacturer of any inferior products that you've purchased, rather than whining about them on a forum.
I'm out!
I am only discussing it here on the forum because I have reached out to them and they replied saying they have received positive feedback so it is not an issue.
I owned a business for 20 years and if there is anything I learned it's that listening to what a customer has to say and really taking time to hear the details of their feedback before arguing it's validity is critical to long term success (or failure).
The purpose for my posts are not to trash anyone but rather give potential future buyers a heads up to help them make the most informed purchase possible.
Hence the name "forum".

I have a 2022 with the T-Rex center stand, skid, upper and lower crash bars. The center stand on my Concours C-14 (around 800 lbs) is simple to deploy and use. The center stand on my Strom 1000 is simple. The 22 KLR650... ridiculous. The foot lever needs to be longer to add leverage, and there is plenty of room to grow it an inch with no ill effect that I can see. I pretty much detest the thing because it is such a challenge to use.

so true. But even for a non lowered bike. That stand is very poorly designed. You would think they would have taken notice by now and redesigned. Makes you ask the dual question how and why in the first place and how and why it is not addressed. If they do they should offer a discount to buy the replacement.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts