Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any Tachometers out there that are a good fit for this bike? This would be my first bike, and I would really like a tach on this thing, much less a gear indicator, but I'm sure the speedohealer people sell one that should work no issue, it's just getting a tach that this bike really needs.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No tachometer on the 2022 ?

:sick:
No, same thing with a gear indicator, you get to know if you're in Neutral, but nothing besides that.
Edit: the "nothing besides that" is talking about the gear indicator, you of course get Speedo and Odometer, and the KLR 2022 also has a fuel gauge.

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
132 Posts
The fuel gauge is great thing, but not at the expense of the tachometer.

I'd rather have a tachometer and no fuel gauge than the other way around.

Both are needed, no need to do away with the tachometer, which is a step backwards, in order to have a fuel gauge !

Kawasaki taking "crab" steps , one step forward, two steps backwards !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fuel gauge is great thing, but not at the expense of the tachometer.

I'd rather have a tachometer and no fuel gauge than the other way around.

Both are needed, no need to do away with the tachometer, which is a step backwards, in order to have a fuel gauge !

Kawasaki taking "crab" steps , one step forward, two steps backwards !
Agreed! This nonsense of even Honda not having a tach on their Rebel 500 (and to my knowledge 300, unsure of 1100) line up is silly as well.
Motorcycle Manufacturers are making good beginner bikes (Honda Rebel 300/500, and for some the KLR650 is a good first bike (not necessarily making it a beginner bike), if you're tall, if you want to go off-road, etc etc etc.

But no matter how good these motorcycles might be for new riders, the manufacturers forget a crucial thing.. THE TACHOMETER! I'd prefer to go with no fuel gauge and use a tach, at least your fuel gauge can be a Trip Odometer reading, but there's not a solid substitution for knowing where your RPMs are.

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
Just get the Trail Tech tachometer and quit whining. Hundreds of models of all brands have had No Tachometer or Gear Position indicator over the years.

A Fuel Gauge is a necessity on any bike without a 'Reserve' fuel tap! As fuel mileage can vary greatly, depending on type of usage. But you still have to figure out just how far you can reliably go with that last fuel bar 'Flashing'!

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
132 Posts
No pun intended, but talking about a brand new bike's lack of a tachometer from factory is not whining, it is simply what it is, expressing dissatisfaction at a manufacturer for a ridiculous flaw.

I have been there myself, and never took lightly others telling me I was whining, and I do not think Just is whining.

👍

·
Administrator
9,158 Posts
What, really, do you do with a tach? Usually, after about an hour of riding or driving anything with a manual transmission, I've pretty much figured out where the power peak is by sound and feel and so have figured out when and where to shift.

There's no point in taking the engine to redline because power drops off noticeably but, if you are, there's no worry about over-revving the thing. The valve float will prevent that.

Really, then, what is the point of having a tach? Look, I'm the idjit that put a kick-start on a Gen 2 so I'm familiar with the "Because I want it" argument. The lack of a tach is not something I'd get spun up over, though. To @pdwestman (and @2combs) point, it's trivial to install a TrailTech tach.

Reactions: a4twenty and daave

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
I do LOVE my camshaft oil pressure gauge, whether I NEED IT or not. :)

And I did install the tach with un-broken needle from the 2005 parts bike into my 1987, because it looked better than my jb weld wire needle, whether I needed it or not.

I'm Guilty as charged, jaimesix. ;)

Reactions: jaimesix

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No pun intended, but talking about a brand new bike's lack of a tachometer from factory is not whining, it is simply what it is, expressing dissatisfaction at a manufacturer for a ridiculous flaw.

I have been there myself, and never took lightly others telling me I was whining, and I do not think Just is whining.

👍
Thank you.

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
132 Posts
I do LOVE my camshaft oil pressure gauge, whether I NEED IT or not. :)

And I did install the tach with un-broken needle from the 2005 parts bike into my 1987, because it looked better than my jb weld wire needle, whether I needed it or not.

I'm Guilty as charged, jaimesix. ;)
We all are here to have a good time

We are all good

👍👍

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
132 Posts
What, really, do you do with a tach? Usually, after about an hour of riding or driving anything with a manual transmission, I've pretty much figured out where the power peak is by sound and feel and so have figured out when and where to shift.

There's no point in taking the engine to redline because power drops off noticeably but, if you are, there's no worry about over-revving the thing. The valve float will prevent that.

Really, then, what is the point of having a tach? Look, I'm the idjit that put a kick-start on a Gen 2 so I'm familiar with the "Because I want it" argument. The lack of a tach is not something I'd get spun up over, though. To @pdwestman (and @2combs) point, it's trivial to install a TrailTech tach.
Tom
A tachometer is great tool to monitor the engine. It looks good on the dash display but that is not its intent.

Let's say your bike is stuck in mud, trying to get it out, the tach will help you make sure you do not over rev it.

Going up hill, in need of long gear shifting, the tach helps you maximize those shifts.

Many other uses.

Off course we could do away with all gauges, when I was a kid , my "sports" moped, as I considered it, had no gauges whatsoever.

But that is totally unnecessary in this date and age, we are no kids, and technology makes it super easy to affix a tachometer to a motorcycle.

Why use a tach ? I could say same thing about a speedometer, I could find out my speed by listening to the engine at a particular gear, or peep at a car next to me in order to find out my speed ...

Peace

·
Administrator
9,158 Posts
I'd have to disagree with that. Going uphill (or downhill, or wherever) I have no need of a tach to know when to shift, either up or down. That goes for cars and trucks as well as motorcycles. Like I said, after operating a vehicle with a manual shift for an hour or so, one ought to get a right good feel for where the power and torque peaks are. You can feel when an engine's power peak goes past and you can feel when it is lugging. You can also feel when it is near redline, but perhaps less reliably so.

At any rate, stuck in the mud I don't think I'd deliberately rev it past its peak (we're talking, then, about halfway to redline; both torque and power fall off well before redline, so why go there?) but, if I did, the valves would float before it over-revved.

Candidly, I don't look at the tach. I know when the engine is happy. That means it is on top of its curve. I can feel when it is not happy, and that's because it has gotten too far along the curve and is straining to make power, or it is too early in the curve and is straining to make torque. And I shift to get it back to happy. If I could hack my Vapor I'd get rid of the tach and put in a nice clock!

Looking at it objectively, there's really just not much use for a tach on a KLR. It's a bit of a different matter on bikes that run very smoothly and have the power to come up to speed quickly. Still, I'd say that with a bit of skill and experience with the particular motor a tach is not all that critical a piece of equipment.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
I like having a tach but I don't need one; Like Tom says - I know when to shift based on the feel of the bike and sound of the engine; none of my race bikes had any gauges whatsoever.

Dave

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
132 Posts
I'd have to disagree with that. Going uphill (or downhill, or wherever) I have no need of a tach to know when to shift, either up or down. That goes for cars and trucks as well as motorcycles. Like I said, after operating a vehicle with a manual shift for an hour or so, one ought to get a right good feel for where the power and torque peaks are. You can feel when an engine's power peak goes past and you can feel when it is lugging. You can also feel when it is near redline, but perhaps less reliably so.

At any rate, stuck in the mud I don't think I'd deliberately rev it past its peak (we're talking, then, about halfway to redline; both torque and power fall off well before redline, so why go there?) but, if I did, the valves would float before it over-revved.

Candidly, I don't look at the tach. I know when the engine is happy. That means it is on top of its curve. I can feel when it is not happy, and that's because it has gotten too far along the curve and is straining to make power, or it is too early in the curve and is straining to make torque. And I shift to get it back to happy. If I could hack my Vapor I'd get rid of the tach and put in a nice clock!

Looking at it objectively, there's really just not much use for a tach on a KLR. It's a bit of a different matter on bikes that run very smoothly and have the power to come up to speed quickly. Still, I'd say that with a bit of skill and experience with the particular motor a tach is not all that critical a piece of equipment.
We can agree to disagree

The reason so many aftermarket businesses flourish is the fact that there are different strokes for different folks

👍👍

·
Administrator
9,158 Posts
On that, we can agree!

The funniest tach I have had is on my Forester. The Forester has a CVT. Under the right conditions, the car will accelerate and the tach will go down. Fun to watch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a 2022 KLR after getting back into bikes with an XR650L. The problem I'm having is the stock bike is so quiet! On the highway all I hear is wind noise. And I'm still not dialed in to the vibration levels. I'm not worried about over revving. I like the low end torque. But it feels like the KLR doesn't have quite the same tractor type low end as the XR, so I'm more concerned about lugging it. That is my story for why I want a tach. Ask me again in 2 weeks what I think. I've had the KLR 4 days so far.

·
Administrator
3,894 Posts
I found the tach very handy when my speedo cable broke. Knew exactly what RPM to ride at to stay legal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts