Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
I just bought a 2022 KLR after getting back into bikes with an XR650L. The problem I'm having is the stock bike is so quiet! On the highway all I hear is wind noise. And I'm still not dialed in to the vibration levels. I'm not worried about over revving. I like the low end torque. But it feels like the KLR doesn't have quite the same tractor type low end as the XR, so I'm more concerned about lugging it. That is my story for why I want a tach. Ask me again in 2 weeks what I think. I've had the KLR 4 days so far.
Can't you just look at the speedo to determine shift points? I think the manual refers to both upshift / downshift recommended speeds.

· Registered
2 Posts
I bought one of your Trail Tech tachometers and instaled it on my 2022 KLR. The RPM jumps around a lot? at 60 MPH it reads 3950rpm all the way up to 4060rpm? The instalation is very simple but I would like a tach. that is a bit more exact.

· Premium Member
4,838 Posts
I bought one of your Trail Tech tachometers and instaled it on my 2022 KLR. The RPM jumps around a lot? at 60 MPH it reads 3950rpm all the way up to 4060rpm? The instalation is very simple but I would like a tach. that is a bit more exact.
Sorry, that was a cut and paste; I don't have any involvement with 3D Cycles but I have dealt with them several times and they have always been great - Member Tu Combs is the Owner of 3D Cycles, I'd call him or send him a PM

Cheers,
Dave

· Premium Member
12,055 Posts
The RPM jumps around a lot? at 60 MPH it reads 3950rpm all the way up to 4060rpm? The instalation is very simple but I would like a tach. that is a bit more exact.
I have no connection with Kawasaki, Trail-Tech or 3D Cycles either, but.

I'll suggest that 110rpm variance is ACCURATE. Every little hump, dip or breeze affects the gravity & aerodynamics of the bike. It is the speedometer that is averaging speed. 15mph per 1000rpm = 1.5mph per 100rpm.
Your tach & speedo are as good as you are gonna' get.
Just my 2 cents.

· Premium Member
51 Posts
That's very accurate and the nature of a tach that reads in such fine detail. An analog needle tach only looks to be so steady because it does not have the resolution or response to show a 100 rpm fluctuation that happens inside a second.

· Registered
22 Posts
Been riding over 50 years, always had use for good reliable tach on Carb bikes. When setting the idle. Now with fuel injected bikes, not so much. Kind of nice to see what my Zx14r is running at, at certain speeds, but just for useless information. On the gen3, I don’t even miss it. If my Speedo goes out, switch my iPhone over to the speed app. I have used the fuel gauge way more than I have ever used a tach. Self-canceling turn signals would be cool, but not needed. The only thing I would change, and I am in the process of designing a fix, is the huge butt ugly usb hub. I will make a blankoff plate and install a marine grade usb, just like on my sailboat. Just my one cent on the subject.

· Registered
15 Posts
These add on tachs are ridiculously unreliable. I'm not sure there isn't alread a tach on this bike since it has a ECU and is fuel injected. Seems like you would need the tach info to run the bike.

I love a tach but I won't put one one. Also it kinda takes the worry about the engine off my back.

I can just nail the crap out of it now.

Ignorance is bliss....

· Registered
'08 KLR
412 Posts
These add on tachs are ridiculously unreliable. I'm not sure there isn't alread a tach on this bike since it has a ECU and is fuel injected. Seems like you would need the tach info to run the bike.

I love a tach but I won't put one one. Also it kinda takes the worry about the engine off my back.

I can just nail the crap out of it now.

Ignorance is bliss....
One can get a Bluetooth adapter for the diagnostics port, and display a ton of info on a phone or tablet.

· Registered
2022 KLR
13 Posts
I put the trailtech tach on mine when I did the thermobob. I like it...for what it is. Would have been nice to have a tach on the display pannel. Wish the trailtech had a back light for night riding but what ever. I don't look at it much anyway.

on another note; anybody know if the battery on the trailtech units is replaceable?

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,233 Posts
I put the trailtech tach on mine when I did the thermobob. I like it...for what it is. Would have been nice to have a tach on the display pannel. Wish the trailtech had a back light for night riding but what ever. I don't look at it much anyway.

on another note; anybody know if the battery on the trailtech units is replaceable?
Batteries are not replaceable. You need to buy a new unit.

· Registered
18 Posts
Uses for a tach that I miss w/o one on 2022 KLR:
  • Checking idle speed (I know, not as critical with EFI, but I would still like to see what it's doing)
  • Avoiding over-revving
  • Checking how close I actually am to red-line
  • Watching my short-shifts when attempting to hypermile to see what kind of MPG I can squeeze out of the KLR
  • Checking results of swapping sprockets, particularly since speedometer accuracy is affected on the 2022
  • Aiding with shift points when I can't hear the engine well due to wind/other noise or for folks with hearing impairments
  • Helping with speed-match shifting if the clutch goes out or just for smoothness
  • Seeing something more empirical for results with installing the clutch bypass
  • Maybe most important - help me stop toeing for 6th!
...probably others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

I'd really like to add a temp/tach device. Has anyone tried any Runleader-branded products? I wonder if something like this is total junk? Runleader digital temp/tach

· Registered
'08 KLR
412 Posts
Timlang
Do you have a link
The one I saw used was here on the r/klr650 sub-reddit. It has link active links to the necessary OBDII adapter/Bluetooth sender and a compatible app on your phone or tablet. (I'll check to ensure the links work after I post.)
*Edit - links work for me. Let me know if they don't work without the Reddit app/user account, I can track down the parts and supply direct links.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts