Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This discussion has been gone over quite a bit. On my '22, I would've loved it, but don't really need it.

YET, regarding the 2022 iteration, I haven't been able to find out at what RPM max torque arrives or when peak HP is, or even if there is a rev limiter and at what RPM it activates.

Riddle me this, Batman: What good is a tach if Kawasaki does not release these specifications?

Just for the heck of it, does anyone know at what RPM peak torque or HP arrives?

I may be interested in a tach one day if I knew the answers to these questions.

Anybody???

Thanks much!

·
Administrator
4,014 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, KLR, although these dyno numbers are at the rear wheel which and though more accurate, are not the same as most other machine numbers posted by manufacturers. More "real world" but sort of like comparing apples and oranges. I was wondering about power relative to the DR and XR650s. Also, I heard of an 8,000 RPM Redline, which may or may not be correct. I don't see anything from Kawi stipulating that... Thank you again!

·
Premium Member
3,951 Posts
Thanks, KLR, although these dyno numbers are at the rear wheel which and though more accurate, are not the same as most other machine numbers posted by manufacturers. More "real world" but sort of like comparing apples and oranges. I was wondering about power relative to the DR and XR650s. Also, I heard of an 8,000 RPM Redline, which may or may not be correct. I don't see anything from Kawi stipulating that... Thank you again!
The DR, XRL and KLR-A/B/C/E (and whatever the new one is) are all within a hp or two at the most. If you spend a couple hundred hours on the internet you will find credible sources to say any of the three are faster than the other two! LOL.......when you are talking 34 rwhp or so, it matters little but nonetheless, there you go.

As far as the redline goes; there is no reason to exceed 6,000....redline on my Gen1's is 7500 but nothing much is happening up there!

Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The DR, XRL and KLR-A/B/C/E (and whatever the new one is) are all within a hp or two at the most. If you spend a couple hundred hours on the internet you will find credible sources to say any of the three are faster than the other two! LOL.......when you are talking 34 rwhp or so, it matters little but nonetheless, there you go.

As far as the redline goes; there is no reason to exceed 6,000....redline on my Gen1's is 7500 but nothing much is happening up there!

Dave
Yes, it's not much use to rev out due to the drop off in HP and TQ. Yet, if it redlines at 8K but I rev it only occasionally to 6K, I know that at most, the engine is being taxed to only 75% capacity and overall it is leading a very stress-free life!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Yet, if it redlines at 8K
The KLR650 engine is and has always been 7500 rpm since 1987. Nothing has changed inside the 2022 engine to suggest that the Redline has been increased. The crankshaft stroke is STILL 83mm or 3.26771inches.

At that 7500 RPM the piston is traveling just over 4084 FEET PER Minute or 6.53542 inches per each full rotation of the crankshaft. Looking at it another way, the bike would travel about 1.875 miles and the piston would travel about 4/5ths of a mile inside the cylinder, with the stock 15/43 sprocket gearing!
Luckily the engines power output can't pull that rpm, therefore that speed in top gear, on flat land.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The KLR650 engine is and has always been 7500 rpm since 1987. Nothing has changed inside the 2022 engine to suggest that the Redline has been increased. The crankshaft stroke is STILL 83mm or 3.26771inches.

At that 7500 RPM the piston is traveling just over 4084 FEET PER Minute or 6.53542 inches per each full rotation of the crankshaft. Looking at it another way, the bike would travel about 1.875 miles and the piston would travel about 4/5ths of a mile inside the cylinder, with the stock 15/43 sprocket gearing!
Luckily the engines power output can't pull that rpm, therefore that speed in top gear, on flat land.
Thank you PD. That would mean that this 22 engine will still have an easy life. Even without a tach, I know I will not be wringing 7,500 RPM out of this thing. I anticipate that 90% of it's life will be spent between 2,000 and 5,000 RPM with only brief excursions beyond that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts