Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought maybe some of you KLR-camping types might be interested in these "tactical tomahawks" to throw in your gear. I've had a few 'hawks over the years of the old steel forged head/wooden handle variety, but appreciate the functionality and durability of these modern offerings.

I didn't want to spend a lot of money on one. Here are three choices that get pretty decent reviews and can be had for less than $40. Seems like they would be handy on the bike and in camp. They seem to be able to hold their own for chopping and splitting wood, digging, prying, pounding, etc. I see no reason to go into details about any specs, pros/cons of any of them since it's info readily available on the 'net.

Plus, gotta admit, they're just cool.

United Cutlery Tomahawk

SOG Tomahawk

This is the one I chose, the Cold Steel Trench Hawk:

Note: even though they may not be pictured, all come with sheaths.

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
Those are sweet, I would say a worthy addition to the pack as well. Amazingly, they're even legal in Canada!

·
Registered
901 Posts
A couple years ago I purchased the SOG Fast Hawk Tomahawk. It's smaller than the full-size one, but quite well made. It's fairly light weight, and fits in my day pack that I use for hiking.

Here's Amazon.com's link: Link to the SOG Fast Hawk Tomahawk

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Ohhhh I don't know, those look SCARY and are matte BLACK. You sure these are not ASSAULT tomahawks? Would we be limited to only carrying seven on our person at a time? :mad0235:

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amazingly, they're even legal in Canada!
I just happened to recall this SOG review I came across while researching: written by one of your fellow Canadians that mentions this same point.

I don't think I'd take on a bear, coyote or wolf with one of those things (although I suppose it falls into the "better than nothing" category) and if choosing produce that approximated the density of a skull I probably would have chosen a coconut rather than a pineapple, but you get the idea.......

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A couple years ago I purchased the SOG Fast Hawk Tomahawk. It's smaller than the full-size one, but quite well made. It's fairly light weight, and fits in my day pack that I use for hiking.
Hey, at less than $25, I might have to pick one of these up, too. Seems they would be quite handy.

·
Lifetime Member
2,487 Posts
I see Cabelas even carries these here... Might have to scoop one, I think it would be a worthwhile addition. :)

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Love the "box tool". Those SOG hawks are great. Don't have one (I like wood handles), but I've heard great things. SOG stuff is usually pretty well made.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well I picked up this tool called a "Box Tool" here at Lee Valley Tools, it's ugly heavy. I've used it on everything that needs to be hammered, opened, broken, fixed, cracked, split, killed. I've owned this tool for 20 years.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?c=&p=32016&cat=1,43456,43407
Oh, I gotta get me one of those!

...used for prying, chopping, nail pulling and hammering, whether or not they were designed for it. Luckily, this one is designed for all of those activities.

At 13-1/2" long, it weighs just under 2 lb. It has a through steel handle with hardwood scales (complete with spots of wood filler). A tough, ugly tool that is perfect for the person whose usual solution to a problem is to use a larger hammer. Also ideal for the person who tends to leave tools out in the rain. This one can't get much uglier.

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Under $40???
Where? I want one or three.
I've found large disparities on the price of these things. All three I pictured can be found on eBay (Buy It Now from an eBay store) for less than $40 with free shipping: New In Box.

I paid $38 for the Trench Hawk. They sell them at the local Walmart but they're $45 there. Manufacturer's web site? $65.

·
Registered
452 Posts
the SOGs are awsome throwers too makes someone like me look like i knew what i was doing ! i take em with me camping throwing em at firewood at camp its great fun and they hold up great ..well worth price ..

·
Registered
81 Posts
i keep a OX head mini hatchet on my bike . this thing is SOLID .. cuts like a axe,holds a edge wayyyyyyyyy longer then cheap 20$ ones ,and you can make it razor sharp for things like skinning or general cutting ..
i know some guys like the Gransfors Mini too. If i didnt have the ox head , i was going to make my own or buy the Gransfors Mini.
for 20 $ i question the quality of the tool .

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
A foldable saw kept on the bike is pretty handy and a LOT lighter.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts